1 man tent recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Need another tent for moi.

I would like a really nice 1 man tent, by nice, i mean quality, able to withstand tough conditions.

Has to be light and compact as well.

Price range £50 to £150.

Cheers all.

twr198

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2007
England
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/web...SCRIPTION=&ID_WEB_GROUP_LEVEL1=15&menustate=N

This is the jack wolfskin gossamer.

I regulalry go backpacking in snowdonia with 2 mates so thers 3 of us and i take a JW llighthouse 1 RT for 2 of us and my other m8 takes a gossammer.

There great tents very lightweight durable hardwearing and brilliant in snow and wind

If your willing to strecth get the lighthouse but it may be unnessicarliy big for 1 person unless your like me and like some kit space.

If not get the gossammer

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The MSR Hubba 1 is the best solo tent I've ever tried.

hubbawtyvek1b.jpg

hubbawvestibule1.jpg

hubba1notarp1.jpg

One of the important things I look for is the ability to sit up inside. Good headroom in this tent. Additionally, it is extremely well made, or at least it was when I bought mine.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/web...SCRIPTION=&ID_WEB_GROUP_LEVEL1=15&menustate=N

This is the jack wolfskin gossamer.

I regulalry go backpacking in snowdonia with 2 mates so thers 3 of us and i take a JW llighthouse 1 RT for 2 of us and my other m8 takes a gossammer.

There great tents very lightweight durable hardwearing and brilliant in snow and wind

If your willing to strecth get the lighthouse but it may be unnessicarliy big for 1 person unless your like me and like some kit space.

If not get the gossammer

It says it has to be pitched tail to wind, rather difficult in a swirling wind, plus it recommends it for spring and summer only, i.e 2 season.

H

High on Hex

Have a look at tarptent.com They're not four season use but are about 1/3 the weight of a solo tent. To use it in winter you'd want a bivi bag as well. I'm waiting on delivery of their 'Contrail'.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I'd second the Aztec Esquina Solo... unfortunately I recently sold mine but they're relatively cheap (under £100), easy to pitch after the first time and bombproof.
For that kind of money I can't think of many high end ones. The Integral Designs Mk1 Lite is excellent for alpine-type stuff and extremely light for its strength, the Hilleberg Akto has a good enough reputation that I don't need to say more and their new tent the Soulo is appealing to me too. All of them will be quite a bit above your budget though

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
This is really just a stopgap until i can afford to get myself another, more permanent type of tent, so ALL recommendations are welcome.

Btw i just found the Antec Esquina Solo for £69.99, should i order one or wait for more suggestions?

EDIT, Hmm 30 seconds of searching and i have found it for £59.99, looks like a nice tent as well.

Everyone else, thanks for your suggestions also.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
There's a new model of the Esquina and an older one. I'm not too sure of the subtler differences - they look superficially the same, however the older models are a subdued brown colour; the new ones are bright orange. Worth bearing in mind if you want to blend in a bit. I guess the tents around the £60 price are the older style.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Yep, i think they are the older ones, i don't think i'll get one of them then, the Orange is about £100 so still within budget with £50 left over to go into the Cegga Axe pot.

The Orange looks ace as well :D

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'd prefer the older style if it was me, even more so for the cheaper price. I wouldn't dismiss it just because there's a newer model out. Three of my mates have the old style and one has the new one. As I said, the only obvious difference seems to be the colour.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Hmm seems a bit strange, £40 extra for the colour is a little extreme.

I will try and look at some reviews, if there are no or few beneficial changes then i'll just get the older version.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
If the £60 one you've found is at Gear Zone, they're out of stock, and it's been like that for months. If you find a cheap one though, be sure to post a link in this thread. I'm sure someone would find it useful.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Yeah it was :( i was going to give them a ring.

Seems like everywhere is out of stock for the older version due to the pricedrop, i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't actually have anymore old ones left to get in stock.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That's a great spot Don. I have one of the original one's that I got from Amazon marketplace and it's a cracking little tent for the money. Packs up small and is very light.

I must admit I took a bivy bag with me to put my sleeping bag in on the first occasion I used it, but I've had no problems. I sealed the seams before first use, but that's all I've done.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Sorry, no Argos tents please :lmao:

Had so much trouble with those Cereal box tents before that i won't buy one from them again, sorry Don :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE