1 man tent recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If you can stretch to £200, the MacPac Microlight is a great one-man tent. Goes up dead easy, even in bad weather, and it's about as bomb-proof as a 1.6kg one-man tent can be.

CRAZY FROG

Forager
Aug 9, 2007
essex
Need another tent for moi.

I would like a really nice 1 man tent, by nice, i mean quality, able to withstand tough conditions.

Has to be light and compact as well.

Price range £50 to £150.

Cheers all.
I would recomenned the Coleman Viper tent. I have used this tent for many years without any problem an it fall within the price range that you are looking at.
It only ways only 4lbs when packed which is not to heavy carry on a rucksack.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I bought a second hand Mountain Hardwear "Mountain Wing" for £75 and its the business! It has withstanded some harsh wind and rain and plenty of gear space. Not sure how much it retails for new but if you can find one second hand I highly recommend.

groundhog

May 25, 2005
Manchester
I'll second the recommendation for the tiger paws 1 man. The zip is the achilles heel but I've used mine wild camping for at least two years in snow, gales and torrential downpours.I used it every night along the pennine way last November and nearly took flying lessons one night on LLanberis pass. Next day on Snowden we talked to two lads whose mate had gone home in a huff when he woke up shrinkwrapped in his £300 tent. Two tiger paws (£5 each end of stock sale) handled it beautifully It (apart from the zip) has taken anything thrown at it in style.

twr198

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2007
England
Sorry about the misunderstanding in my earlier post i meant to say that the Lighthouse is good 4 season and the gossamer is good 2 poss 3 season but that would be stretching the limits

As said before i look for the ability to sit upright in a tent and a sizeable vestibule for all your stuff...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Certainly the current Argos 1 man tent (£33 - but I think it may go lower in future)
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...4619/c_3/3|cat_9554619|Tents|9554630.htm#tab3
looks the same as the old Tiger Paw, which in turn was a copy of the Sierra designs Light Year.

Considering the old Tiger Paw:

It is 2kg, not bad as the very expensive hilleberg Akto is only 500g less, and the extra weight seems to have gone on a robust groundsheet.

High quality aluminium poles - most cheap tents have glassfibre.

No problem with waterproofing of the fly or groundsheet. I once needed a dab of seam sealant in one spot after about 3 years use

Mossi net is indeed midge proof.

Small pack size.

The zip on the fly will fail. Mine has always been a bit dodgy and is now kaput.

The label says not fire resistant. I've not tested it.

Otherwise it is a great tent - there is a load of stuff on the web and even Cameron McNeish raved about it.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Not yet. There is a velcro flap over the zip but I wouldn't trust it in wind. I'm going to have to source a new zip as its still a very good tent.

I don't know if the new models have better zips or not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE