1/4 Abenaki Birchbark Canoe Project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
Here are a few photo's from my Birchbark Canoe Project, more to come!

l_67258795490f557d641bfa7994aafb1b.jpg

l_9f5befaf3bb8ee5b34ff2fe6f3cb13f4.jpg

l_af6a84bdd8b1757c464ce343aa4b74ea.jpg

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
:Wow: Wow! this is great to see! Looks like you are making a good job of it too! Is that Birch bark from this country?

Will there be a life size one to follow?

Cant wait to see the next instalment of pics!:You_Rock_

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
cheers guys, its bark from North America supplied by my friend Ted Behne - see www.barkcanoe.net but I am wondering if Birchbark from Scotland would be thick enough for a full size one, you could use birchbark from this country to make models.

There will indeed be a full size canoe but I will make a few more models first. The full size one will either be an Algonquin, or Ojibway canoe depending on if I can get lots of winter bark.

Its been an on an off project for a while but I am determined to finish it ASAP. The amount of hours that I have been working on it, well working it out probably about 16 hours of solid work to get this far but making models is far faster than the real thing although you do use the same building processes.

Oh the one thing I like about birch bark is that you can hide your mistakes d'oh my models are no way as good as Ted's

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
yes the tallness is a challenge hahah, thanks for the comments guys the next stage is to lash the gunwhales with roots. it takes 10 mins per lashing i figured there are 72 of them, I will post more photo's soon.

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
just started lashing the thwarts in last night however they weren't to scale so relashed the centre thwart to scale tonight, although only being 1mm thick they are still amazingly strong.:D

Just worked it out its going to take me 7 hours to complete all the lashings at 5mins per lashing now!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
i would love to make one of these models except i dont have the birch bark! Do you think i could use canvas instead? It wont look the same but it might be the next best thing! I dont have Cedar wood either but i can imagine that with a scale model the ribs would be pretty thin and you would be able to use other materials like willow.

btw Timtom are you using traditional Cedar wood too?

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
Hi Jon,

Yeah I am using cedar too, although Norway spruce apparently works just as well, Ted Behne supplied the bark too and gives me help when I need it.

I Recommend you get these two books & contact Ted

Bark Canoes and Skin Boats of North America by Edwin Tappan Adney & Howard I. Chappelle

Bark Canoes: The Art and Obsession of Tappan Adney by John Jennings

John Jennings is cool he gave me a ride back to the bus station in Peterbough Ontrario after my meal with Kirk Whipper, himself, Ted and Jeremy Ward

Tim

Hartung

Nov 27, 2005
Europe
Hi timtom,

This is a great project. Go on … and…. we need more pics. I’ve always wanted to make one like you …maybe you are motivating me…. .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE