£60 to spend... Do I buy a new bag or an insulated mat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Spent last weekend camping and slept OK..but when I got back I checked my bag which I thought was OK down to - 5... Nope turns out it's only 2 seasons... I can just about scrape up £50 or £60 and am stuck between buying a new bag probably a Proforce phantom or going for some kind of insulated mat. We have a number of camps planned for this winter and tis getting quite chilly, all the trips will be in the UK and where we are going the temperature is unlikely to dip below - 7... So... What do you reckon will get me the most bang for my bucks.. Cheers all.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

patrols

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
cornwall
I would go for the best sleeping mat you can afford and if you have any cash left over get a fleece sleeping bag liner, this should give you a good nights sleep as you will be insulated from the cold ground and a liner should give you another season at least to your sleeping bag.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
You need both a good mat and a good bag, but the mat can be got very cheap. Something like this Karrimor one will do you for any weather you might encounter, and can be had for lunch money.

For comfort, the inflatables are a big step up, but I wouldn't go that route at the expense of a better sleeping bag. I'd spend the money there, and think about upgrading the mat later. Even the best mat won't make up for a bag with too little insulation.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Are you carrying the stuff? consider your existing bag plus a softie suit, you would only be carrying the trousers, plus you have the option of putting them on.

The Clas ohlsen sleeping mats looked good for the money when i saw them, thick as a dutch army one

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If your bag is only two season then you really need to change the bag.
Cheap foam roll mat and a military winter bag would get you in well under-budget.

Either that or hold onto your cash for a bit and keep an eye out for a deal on here.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
You need both a good mat and a good bag, but the mat can be got very cheap. Something like this Karrimor one will do you for any weather you might encounter, and can be had for lunch money.
For minus 7 you need both especially if you don't have a mat already but
.. How a mat that describes itself as 4 season can have a tog rating of 2.74 beggars belief that is an R Rating of about 1.5!

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
I am carrying and although I have the space as it's in a Berghaus vulcan cyclops I am conscious of the weight.. Am trying not to add more than 2kg if possible, I have a cheapo Proforce thermalite mat and a hawk bivi.. Maybe I should be concentrating on the doss bag as has been suggested, I was really wondering how much extra warmth would be gained by buying something like an exped down mat?

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
British Army bag, well within your budget, you won't get cold in the UK.

I used the issue cold weather bag for about 5 years and never had a cold night.
I have only recently started using a more light weight bag, still nawt expensive mind but if the weather is cold and I only have a few miles under foot I dig out the old toasty.
-!4 in the peaks and it was fine. Not tried it any colder as its not occurred over here.

OP you could add another cheap bag, a bivi bag, silk liner, and so on but its the bag that's the problem. The military bags are bulky and heavy so just walk a little less far and a little more slowly.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Snugpak/ Rab possibly Buffalo have factory shops. Why not give them a buzz to see what they have on offer. Is postage to IoM dearer than mainland?

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Money is ridiculously tight at the mo, I reckon my esteemed better half would foot my backside if I spend £80 :-D but it does look like a cracking deal...
And in answer to Tiger Stacker.... Ohhhh yeah.. just a lot usually around 150%-200%

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I found that there was no intermediate bag cost wise. The military stuff was very cheap and nothing comparable was less than £80`ish.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
I have just spent the last half hour looking and have come to the same conclusion... Either spend £80 ish or go heavy... Think I'm going to stick an elite 4 on the ccard and lie profusely to symbol :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE