£5.40 Sleeping bag to underquilt conversion.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
Just a quick post about how I turned a sleeping bag into an underquilt in less than an hour with no sewing machine.

Eurohike Junior Voyager sleeping bag £2.40 from Millets (150cm x 70 cm)
40cm shock cord (spare I had lying around.)
Sewing needle & thread.
Grosgain 30cm (spare.)
4 70cm shock cord with hook £3 from Nevis Outdoor.

Spread open it measures 150cmx 150cm. (60x60") Has a 10 to 30C rating with an extreme low temp of -7C. (50F -> 86F extreme low 19F.) Ripstop nylon shell, poly fill and poly lining.

dsc00871u.jpg

I sewed an 1 inch length of grosgain loop in each corner for the shock cord to attach to the hammock line.

dsc00879b.jpg

The sleeping bag itself had a shock cord running along the top where the head would be. It wasn't adjustable. I cut a small hole in the middle of the top channel where the cord is to create a middle adjustment system for the foot of my UQ.

dsc00878rg.jpg

There was no channel of shock cord at the other end, I opted to simply sew a total of 14 loops of grosgain along the edge instead of creating my own channel since I don't own a sewing machine and would like to keep my sanity. You can see it in the first pic but it's clearer here:
dsc00877z.jpg

I ran a 40cm length of shock cord through, tying it at the last loop on each end and cinching it from the middle. I will put in cord buttons for both ends when I get around to buying some (£1 for 4).

Here's what it looks like in action... in my hallway.

dsc00880dc.jpg

dsc00885dr.jpg

Because the zip is cheap and apparently not YKK, you can zip the whole thing up and then split it from the bottom to make it into a tube. It can be used as a peapod this way but I sewed one of the loops on too tightly and the zip wouldn't pull through. Oops.:D The head of sleeping bag is being used as the foot of the UQ. I can wrap it right around my foot thanks to that velcro attachment.

It packs down nice and small:

dsc00873lk.jpg

0.6L Sigg bottle for comparison. Weighs 850g in total (including stuff sack and all cordage.)

Total cost out of pocket = £5.40. Would cost less than £8 if you didn't have shock cord, needles/thread & grosgain on hand.

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Breaking news: Mass hysteria of torch bearing mobs (most wearing olive green and ventile) outside branches of Millets across the country. Blame put upon dwindling stocks of Eurohike junior sleeping bags! Shock - horror - Probe!

Really nice job that Terr, well done!!!

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Thanks for this...

I'de been wondering of there was an easy way to adapt a cheapish sleeping bag into a UQ and this is absolutely it. I think I'll be heading to Millets to see if the have any left.

If all goes well, I'll buy two and make one for the kids as well.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Really nice idea, if it were in green I would be double pleased!

I will be in the market for an under-quilt soon and the cheapest one I have seen is the snugpak for a cool £70 odd squid.

I think I may have to have a go myself at a diy quilt, but in green mind:)

Steve(did I say I like green?)

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
what a great idea. went to millets today & got the adult sleeping as its got the extra length & it was only £4 :eek:) so out with para cord & needle & thread this evening & voila peapod or under blanket. thanks for a great post.

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
Hi again. Glad to be of any help. I took this out last night to the Pentland Hills.

I was camped out right next to Harlaw reservoir and the temps got down to about 1C and hovered thereabouts for the duration of my stay.

With an Ajungilak 3 season bag I was quite comfortable. Took a CCF pad for extra insulation but didn't use it.

HOWEVER, my dog slept with me in the hammock underneath my knees and I've no doubt some warmth was gained from this sleeping arrangement.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE