£41 pencil???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

I have been having a think on this one. The normal and rational person in me screams that the person that bought it is completely of thier rocker.

Then there is this, not all of Ray's students get one of these, this is very much a carrot to a collector. Then think Ray's 2 day courses cost £250, add to that the cost of fuel or transport and if you are really really lucky you may walk away with one of these pencils. So now having paid for your course and paid for the travelling you walk away with a pencil that not many people can say they have (it's cost you in excess of £250 to get it).

What happens if Ray decides to stop instructing???

The same thing that happened with the Wilkinson Woodlore, your pencil now has a very large value (it is infinitely rarer than a WS Woodlore).

The point being, yes it is a pencil, but as with anything else it is only worth what people are willing to pay for it, the person that bought it for £46 would of had to of paid a minimum of £250 if he had done a course with Ray and even then there is still a chance that they may not of been issued with one.

You could even say that £46 is a bargain, it all depends on perspective and from mine I still think they are nuts, but there you go:D

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
I am not surprised at all by this.

Everything from Woodlore costs almost a third more than the identical item from any other supplier, so why should this be any different? :cool:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ah, but if you read the ad carefully, it says that Ray used it to pick his nose and there is still a residue!! Must be worth a fortune!!

Barking!!

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
next person to go on a woodlaw course get him to show you to make a something from clay and sell the finger print i got a funny image in my head of the students trawling behind ray like seagulls at a landfill pickin any odds and ends.or pull out a clump of the poor mans hair! :lmao:
not really

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Rebel said:
That's really shallow. What next; hordes of screaming girls following Ray out into the bush? 500 quid for his worn out hiking boots?

I admire the guy for what he does and I'd love to spend time learning from him but buying a signed pencil box in an auction is meaningless. On the other hand I guess I might be chuffed if he gave me one but then again maybe I wouldn't care. I might even sell it in an auction. :D

No "might" about it in my case. 46 pounds! (let's see, carry the one - $84.50 USD!!!)! Some one is nuts! And it's not the seller!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How about a nice line in "Pierres pencils" - each in a little buckskin pouch :) Reckon theres a market?

L

Liath

All I can say is that someone daft enough to bid £46 for a pencil deserves to lose £46... :lmao:

People are just people. I hate the whole celebrity thing, especially when it's people gawking over the lives of glorified coat hangers... there are so many people out there who do stuff that's really worth celebrating - doctors, firemen, aid workers... but do we care? Not unless they've been on telly we don't. Point a camera at someone and the media circus rolls right in :eek:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Stone me! :eek:

£135 for a book....and i've got that one that i got for about a fiver from a car boot a good few years ago.

Put that with my Wilkinson Sword wooden handled woodlore knife i could retire! :D :lmao:

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I bought a copy of that book in a discount bookshop years ago, but back then it was just written by that bloke off "Tracks". It is a very good book though, with plenty of photos and illustrations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE