£30-40 To spend on clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I don't know if I'd really use a hat in summer a huge amount, as I only really use one when it's really cold.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
not a fan of seal skins. OK until water is over your boots then the take days to dry out.

Another reason why the army MVP ones are better IMO, they come up almost to my knee (at 6'1 I have long legs) and only have a thin lining, so dry much quicker than the branded ones do.

Have you thought about a really good quality leather belt?

I've got the Woodlore belt - excellent quality and I wear it all the time - should last a good while if you're looking for something that will hold special value being a prezzie.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But a poncho can be used in all sorts of ways, to sit on, to cover things and as a shelter.

and yet its still a garment

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
IMHO, a poncho is a waste of fabric, to short for anybody but midgets, to waterproof and illdesigned to be used for anything but standing still. Why would you want to sit on it? It doesn't isolate at all, and to cover up things? What do you need to cover up? Put it under a real tarp instead.

Ponchos works best in theory, and should have stayed there!

Lets not turn this thread into another string of negative posts trying to prove why we each like our own kit - we all have our own preferences and that's a good thing at the end of the day (variety).

Similarly, we don't need to keep badgering why our suggestion is the 'right' one - at the end of the day Calum has asked for some advice, lets each give our opinion and leave him to make his own mind up.

What's right for me or you or him will most probably differ.

Anyway, I still say that the belt is a much more sensible choice because... :lmao:

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
You haven't mentioned boots. What about putting it towards a very good pair of boots? If there's one thing you really notice when they're right it's your boots.

Other option would be a Swanndri or similar, I am sooo glad I have mine, would wear it to work if I could.....

I bought a pair of sealskinz socks and have never worn them, didn't find them comfortable at all.

As for a belt, you can buy a piece of leather and make your own for next to nowt.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Dommyracer, I have decent boots. I've never really worn belts much as once I lost a knife for a few hours after it dropped off. Plus I don't have anything I need to have at my waist that I can't put in a pocket or in the rucsac.

I suspect I may put it towards a pair of Ortodov Antartica mitts, which I have been eying for a while.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE