£2.99 Knife handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I was filling a hole in a wall today with some Milliput and when reading the blurb I thought that it would make a good knife handle. I mixed it up and found a Lauri blade in the shed and made this up. What do you think of this as a knife handle material?

18062009074.jpg

Came out a nice olive green colour which was a bonus:).

All in all it only took 15 mins.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Nice idea - my main concern would be its solidity. Most epoxy putties I've worked with have had a tendancy to stay too putty-like after curing, if yknow what I mean, meaning that I'd be concerned about battoning... I'd love to be proved wrong though, seems like a good solution for those wanting something water-resistant without messing with resin to make micarta, or without buying some. Gonna give it a field test and show us the results? :D

Pete

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Being a modeller I have used Miliput a great deal.
I would think you'll find that it'll be OK for light tasks but may well prove a bit 'crumbly' if put under a of bit strain. But miliput is good stuff (Superfine White is best - but that'll be, well, white). Interesting that you've done it. Why not put it through a variety of tasks (including dropping it onto a hard surface from a height) and let us all know exactly how well it performs. My instincts tell me that it's not something i would do, but happy to be proved wrong.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
How about 'polymorph':

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35511&TabID=1&source=2&doy=8m1

It's great stuff. You can put the granules in hot water until they soften, and take it out and mould it like soft wax. When it's cold it's very strong and hard - like nylon. As it's thermoplastic, rather than thermosetting, you can re-use it as often as you like.

I've used it for making handles on tools, and to hold an awkward shape for machining. Apart from the uninteresting colour, I would think it's ideal for a knife handle.

Jim

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
How about 'polymorph':

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35511&TabID=1&source=2&doy=8m1

It's great stuff. You can put the granules in hot water until they soften, and take it out and mould it like soft wax. When it's cold it's very strong and hard - like nylon. As it's thermoplastic, rather than thermosetting, you can re-use it as often as you like.

I've used it for making handles on tools, and to hold an awkward shape for machining. Apart from the uninteresting colour, I would think it's ideal for a knife handle.

Jim

Just keep it away from the fire :p

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Due to public demand :), I will test it to destruction over the weekend. Its a pity though as the blade is quite good and very sharp.:D

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
That thermoplastic does sound like a nice idea too :D I've used it in the past and the one I used, at least, was very resistant to stretching and didn't snap, either. Problem being that it's not an adhesive, so unless the tang was an awkward shape, you may have issues getting the blade to stay in unless glue was used too...

Barney - I look forward to it :D and kudos! Never used a Lauri blade but they seem quite well thought of, so perhaps it will survive even if the handle doesn't :)

Pete

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I used to use a purple milliput for building coral reef aquaria. Could make a good knife handle for all you Prince fans:22:

I think it may prove too brittle though really. Can't imagine it staying together too well if you batoned the blade.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I made a kitchen out of one of those awful "clip together camping cutlery sets" with the knife handle moulded out of Fimo - it looks naff but it is my Wifes favourite knife!
I have to sharpen it for her though.
The knife and handle are about 25 years old now......

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
John Fenna said:
I made a kitchen out of one of those awful "clip together camping cutlery sets" with the knife handle moulded out of Fimo - it looks naff but it is my Wifes favourite knife!
I have to sharpen it for her though.
The knife and handle are about 25 years old now......
Fimo huh? That's an oven bake clay (well polymer clay) so would that process possibly ruin the blades heat treatment or whatever it is that heat ruins? I've heard of Fimo being used for metal slingshot handles but those don't really need to keep an edge you know...

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I forgot all about this until I dumped some pictures from my phone earlier tonight. I am extremely disappointed to relay the information that the prospective "miracle" handle material lasted less than 30 seconds and a couple of smacks had it donefor:D.

Tufnol is far more durable.

20062009081.jpg

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Yeh nice try.

At least if someone else somewhere down the line has a brainstorm and thinks 'Milliput for a handle!' you'll have saved them the bother.:)
Assuming of course they have the forethought to hit the search button.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE