£150 budget for 8x42 binos - recommendations if any :D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've never really owned a decent pair so thought I would spend this years birthday loot on binos. I want them to be for bird/wild life watching as well as general use. I've decided a decent pair of 8x42 binos should do the job.

Dredged the forum and not really found recommendation in the price range I am looking at,
I appreciate that I should get the best I can afford with this in mind my budget is £150 - £180 at a push, still leaves so many to chose from! My head is spinning after reading to many reviews online.

Am leaning towards the
Viking Vistron 8x42..........

Anyone else got any a pair it the price range I'll looking at spending able to offer an opinion?

Cheers

Orric

[h=1][/h]

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Take it you've been at Lochwinnoch reserve shop for a look?

Opticrons are hard to beat for what you can get at that price range.

I've lost touch of what's available of late though Orric.

Vikings are fine too though.

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
I also have the Opticrons, not only are they a very good binocular for the price but I can confirm that they are 100% waterproof - I tested them in the Spey when the canoe that I was in decided to upturn, they were attached to the canoe and submerged for about 10 mins by the time we got the canoe out.
They're the best binoculars that I've ever had.

cheers

Mark

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Minox BV 10X42 are in your budget if you shop around, i have a pair as a back up for my Swaro's, as i sometimes prefer to carry something a bit lighter and my Swaro's are quite heavy, they are superb bang for your buck.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Your best bet is to go to a decent optics shop and try some. I convinced myself that opticron would be ideal. I went to an infocus event and tried them, they didn't suit me so I ended up saving for swaro's.

That said, I bought a pair of the 7day shop 10x42's on a whim (£40) and they are excellent bins for the price and have had good reviews from optic geeks.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Opticron for me too. Mine were £300 but not that much worse than makes and models I tried at nearly triple the price!

I agree, if you can get to an optic shop to actually try them out first then so much the better.

ATB

KP

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
I have the 8x24 compact Opticron bought a few years back , I opted for the compact to slip in my pocket or easy to carry in rucksack or bag , well pleased with them and again waterproof .

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Have you thought about second hand. For £150 to £180 you can get an excellent pair. It would bring you into Opticron BGA range or Hawke frontier ED both excellent bins. I would agree try before buy some bins just don't feel right no matter how much they are.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

greensurfingbear

Take it you've been at Lochwinnoch reserve shop for a look?.

I went to another RSPB reserve when i was on the east coast earlier in the month and tried them out. To be honest I struggled deciding which ones were the best! Think I'll mosy on down to the Lochwinnoch reserve this weekend heard a rumour I get a discount there what with them being neighbours an all :)

Orric

greensurfingbear

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Orric,

i bought these http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/836-Opticron-Discovery-WP-PC-8x32-Binoculars/

prior to the tracking course. On that course we tested a huge range of binos ranging from 50 quid up to 1500 quid and they performed excellently and suprised everybody for ability vs cost. Their low light ability is key so make sure if you are testing a bunch that you do try them in dimmer conditions.

Other thing about a 8x32 is that they fit in a pocket so you carry them with you more. They are one of the best bushy things i have and am very very chuffed with them.

john

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Another vote here for Opticron, well made binos at a good price, also worth looking at Hawks. i have a pair of the frontier and love them, also got them cheap as they were the last non ED glass ones in the shop. Although, definitely worth looking at second hand (most good optic shops have a fair selection).
Make sure you try them in low light conditions or a good overcast day, even cheap ones can seem good on a sunny day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE