£100m theme park plan for Loch Lomond

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
A GLASGOW nightclub owner wants to spend £100 million developing a theme park on the banks of Loch Lomond.

Wayne Gardner-Young hopes to build the attraction, along with a hotel, cafes and restaurants, to sit alongside a five-star touring caravan site with a spa, plus a variety of holiday apartments and lodges.

The entrepreneur, whose interests range from Azure, formerly Victoria’s Nightclub, Glasgow, to the £23m transformation of a West Lothian wasteland into an adventure park, is already developing the site of the former Highland Lodge, Balmaha, into a £1.5m cafe-restaurant complex with 15 lodges.

Link

Reported also on BBC Reporting Scotland

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Every few years someone proposes an airport or a theme park for the Gwent Levels, between Newport and Chepstow, a wetland expanse like the Somerset levels (only less well known). It keeps the Gwent Wildlife Trust tied up in fighting th proposal whilst smaller developments get past under the radar. It never comes to anything, and wastes an awful lot of time and money.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My first thoughts were it can only be bads news, then reading a little deeper it might just do some good to educate those who are ignorant.

I'd like more details of the proposed scheme and the area which he's buying before I can say if I agree or not. The guy's done well for himself in the building trade so it's probably just another money making scheme as far as he's concerned, let's hope the national park see it another way.

Is this a cure to prevent the rowdy campers up the east shore I wonder ?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Something like this had to happen in the area, lets hope its done well. I guess if the chap has done his homework and put together a good package it would be hard to turn down. Potential perhaps for several thousand building jobs and then hundreds of jobs when it opens so from an economic point of view I'm sure it will be welcomed by many.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hmmm, if the National park allows this then it should be stripped as a national park. I used to live 7miles from Loch Lomond and would hate to see it change like Aviemore has, too many houses and water abstraction from the Spey, in a national park.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
There is a lot of variety on both banks of the loch, there is a fine line though between local investment and crass dreams though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
or expensive 'holiday camp' gulags that become the only places folks can stay.......

Loch Lomond already has several developments that aren't thriving and are underused. Strikes me it might well be a grab every grant available matchfunded scheme.

We'll see.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE