£10 cook set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I saw this Solo non-stick cook set (second item down the page) while in Millets the other day for just under a tenner.

It's tiny - the whole thing packs up and fits in your hand so I was thinking it might be good for day hikes. The thing is it may be a bit too small. I can't imagine what you may be able to cook in it that couldn't be done with just a stainless military type mug. And the cup that it comes with is about the size of the bottom inch of an average tea mug so that would be left out and exchanged for a trangia type burner.

Anyone used this set and got any experiance?

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I think it might make a good storage container for a possibles kit, like you said dump the mug make that bit more space inside the bowl would double up as a mug. A couple of esbit blocks brew kit and whatever else you could cram in. Far more practical with the handles than a baccy tin but still pocketable secured with a trangia type strap or even a couple of rubber bands. Nice find lots of potential there.
Dave

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
My folks had one of these kits for when they went away in the caravan :rolleyes:

Its pretty naff. The non-stick coating is very cheap and nasty so after about the first few uses you end up picking it out of your food as it all comes off :yuck:

Those trangia mess tins...or any mess tins for that matter would be a better alternative.

I'm really not a fan of non-stick coatings.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I've just examined one in the shop. It's quite laughable really. The cup is not much bigger than an egg cup, and the coating isn't that good. I like cheap and cheerful, but not even I would waste a tenner :rolleyes:

leon-1

Everything has it's place, I am not going to knock it, but then I have got one of the pans.

I have all sorts from Swedish Army mess sets, proper trangia (Trangia 27), the click stand, coleman micro, Epigas alpine, MSR whisperlite, Peak1 Apex and others.

Pans that range from Zebra billies, MSR Stowaway's to little pan sets made by Gelert and one of these.

If used with the right kit they can be quite good, okay they are no good when it comes to using them on an open fire, they are not much cop when it comes to using them with anything where heat regulation isn't much of an option (MSR, Hexi and Trangia), but use one with a Coleman Micro and they are a nice little combination and for a day hike they will be more than enough.

Yep they are cheap, but if you are a youngster that is getting into walking or doing a day out bushcrafting and cannot lite a fire, you will use either a Bluet or something similair and a pan like this and they make a nice starter kit.

It's not the best, but better spend £10 on the whole lot than £20 on Ti mug and then decide that you don't want to take up Bushcrafting or Hiking.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
It's a shame the general opinion is that it's cheap and nasty, I quite liked the idea of it.
I thought it was impractical at the time and now I find out it's also not very good quality yet I still want the set :confused: How stupid is that!

Ah well..... :rolleyes:

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Hey Switch,

Then get it! :)

Put it through it's paces. Do a review...prove the doubters wrong, but really it's up to you. Nothing wrong with doing what you think is right and for ten quid... what the :nana:

Pablo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE