£££££'s

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I think if you class Bushcraft as a 'leisure' pursuit for the majority of people then unfortunately it is going to see some difficult times for all of those who actually earn their living from it, whether they are kit suppliers or course providers. Sounds obvious I know, but one of the first things to suffer in hard times is 'leisure activities'. On the marina pontoon where my boat is moored there are now four vessels (2 motor cruisers 2 yachts) with 'For Sale' notices on, all have been put on the market in the last two months. Normally nobody would seriously consider putting their boat on the market in the depths of winter, I think it is just an early indication of the change in people's priorities as far as spending is concerned.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
So what are the chances of somehow finding ways to portray it to the public as alternative living skills? Only teach the ones from that route the skills that could benefit them in their lives. More living skills than anything.Take part of it away from leisure in the public eye.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
are they bargains Wicca?

I can see a lot of sense in getting rid of the millstone round my neck and living a debt free existence.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Thinking about this i did fish with a guide once in Canada, we asked him what to do, he said "put on a red and white spoon" we didn't have one so he fell asleep. He then woosed out in the weather ran the boat aground the second boat following hit somthing out in the water and sank. And got us to some land where it was practically impossible for us to all get ashore without a drenching in ice cold water. All of this in the ontario wilderness miles from camp, freezing cold with all out electrical equipment knackered. I ended up haveing to swim in ice cold water to float a boat and go for help to get the other 4 guys back to safety.

We paid £300 for the experience, there could be the chance if the course is organised anything like the above then cost wouldn't outweigh any experiance.

It is this i have in the back of my mind when i think about booking a course other than the RM one, I'm sure there are good ones out there but i have heard a few folk say there are a few rogue ones

I understand that. The value of the knowledge gained from a course or book far outweighs the cost of aquiring it. TBH i was more making a point about the $ to £ thing :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
are they bargains Wicca?

I can see a lot of sense in getting rid of the millstone round my neck and living a debt free existence.

They are really Barney, or at least they have dropped so rapidly in price in a short space of time that I'm beginning to wonder just how desperate the sellers are!! Many people are faced with paying their annual mooring fees about now too and that is the real nail in the coffin for many owners. My boat is my home, I own no property ashore, if I did I think mine would be joining the list.
HillBill I agree, if it could be more widely demonstrated to Joe Public just how genuinely useful some aspects of bushcraft are perhaps it would attain more than just a leisure title.
John, a boat is in fact a hole in the water that has £5 notes thrown into it with heartbreaking regularity..:D :D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yup, a boat is a huge money pit (and status symbol.)

Think of it as a rather wet child (children at least, are not status symbols...)

I used to own a 24` yacht...used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE