Mini cast iron Skillet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Just picked up a Brownie cooking kit with cast iron skillet from B&M £5. Ideal for my hobo stove, enough room to fry a giant hash brown or burger.
6bacbad817761ea3f2ce4b8bb2120194.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I looked at those just last week, and if I wanted to camp with anything but as light as I could go, I'd have bought it.
Came with a couple of cake mixes, iirc.
Was tempted for the house, looks ideal for individual rosti, etc.,

M

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Ikea sell a great pan for use on stoves, i have 1 that i use in the house also;

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...ovärdig-frying-pan-golden-brown-art-50270179/

The smallest version packs well enough and is solidly built, the non-stick works great is hasn't got any marks on it.

I pair it with a good steel mug and an msr pot or aluminium billy usually. Great for frying some bacon then cracking 3 eggs in, letting it all cook in to a big omelette like thing.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've bought nice little cast iron pans like that. They make wonderful gifts. I kept 4 of them for myself.

There's some kind of black paint crap over the iron. They need a serious cooking over a 400+F propane grill to burn that shite off. You will smell it, it's rude.

I cook on 2 in the kitchen, oven re-heats and so on.
The others are wood dishes for serious smoker BBQ service.

Once you get down to the grey magnificence of cast iron, everything tastes better.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No more than the size of your open hand. Tonight, I'll reheat 2 stuffed chicken thighs on one of them and a dozen(?) of those pseudo potatoes, the "Tater Tots" on another. Lazy sod that I am, I'll use little sheets of nonstick foil as drip dishes.

If I wanted to do fajitas for 4 people, I have the wooden bases (do not care if they burn a little) and actually 5 oval cast iron cook plates. They hold the heat so well when you serve.

Reactions: FerlasDave

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Anybody got any pictures of these in use? Not sure if they’re just a little too small..
My daughter was given a couple of these pans, to cook fudge or brownies or somesuch, earlier this year. She gave the pans to me thinking they would be useful for me. At 120mm dia and 15mm deep, you'll not cook a lot in them, just enough room for a medium egg. The casting is pretty rough too, making them a bugger to clean. I'll stick to my 230mm cast pan.
IMG_20211203_090954.jpg
IMG_20211203_091122.jpg
IMG_20211203_091252.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cheat. Lie through your teeth.

You heat up the cast iron plates in the 375F oven. You cook on the stove top (scallops? fajitas? hot stir fried pepper shrimp, etc). Then you plate that on the hot iron to sizzle and serve.

I confess that I have oval iron pans with handles for that. I'm so crude that I run them through the dishwasher machine without a problem. Just for myself, I use non-stick Al-foil over the iron for convenience.

My mini cast iron frypans (by appearance) usually get service as apple wood chunk dishes in BBQ. Grill service isn't long enough to bother with.

I have twin grandsons. They like to see their eggs done in their "own pans".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE