Show me your faithful EDC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Funnily enough I’ve avoided the Thrill for that very reason. Take a look at the Real Steel Stella Premium. It has the most satisfying ‘snap’ ever. Nice lines and symmetry too.View attachment 69531View attachment 69532

That looks great.
I have 2 Real Steels myself and been hugely impressed for the price. The only thing I dislike is the Luna has a back spring that’s slightly on the weak side, but overall a cracking knife.

How firm is the back spring tension on the Premium?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That looks great.
I have 2 Real Steels myself and been hugely impressed for the price. The only thing I dislike is the Luna has a back spring that’s slightly on the weak side, but overall a cracking knife.

How firm is the back spring tension on the Premium?
It’s not firm like UKPK firm, I’ve not handled a Luna so can’t compare. I’d say it’s mid range, sort of Swiss Army tight.

Reactions: chimpy leon

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A firm favourite of mine

View attachment 69534

Always admired the Chaparral, it looks to be one of those ‘little, big knives’ that Spyderco do so well. Not a fan of FRN but I’d make an exception for one of those. Mind you, I have an orange FRN Delica that is feather light and a peach of a thing.

We’re Spyderco heavy on this thread, it shows how much they’ve put in over the years. I might have to dig out a Benchmade tomorrow. Had an Opinel mushroom knife out today, hoping for porcini, but it’s a bit like carrying an umbrella only for the sun to shine all day as they’re not about yet.

Reactions: Billy-o

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Always admired the Chaparral, it looks to be one of those ‘little, big knives’ that Spyderco do so well. Not a fan of FRN but I’d make an exception for one of those. Mind you, I have an orange FRN Delica that is feather light and a peach of a thing.

The Chaparral is the sole reason I sold my Delica. They are both very similar and I didn’t really need them both. Aside from the steel being a bit harder to sharpen (62/63 HRC according to a reliable source), the Chap is executed better in just about every way in my opinion. It’s a real underrated gem - it carry’s and cuts better than anything else I own.

As you probably know, you can now get them in quite few different handle materials - G-10, maple, carbon fibre, Raffir Nobel (my favourite) and stepped titanium versions but they all come at a considerable premium over FRN.

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
The Chaparral is the sole reason I sold my Delica.
Damn. For years, I have managed to convince myself not to think about the Chapparal because I didn't much like the square cut-out for the back lock. I seem to remember a ribbon built into it too.

But, now, I have watched a few videos and can feel a little purchase nudging at me. Thanks very much, boys.

Last edited:

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
Why isn't it allowed in Ireland.?
As I understand it you can't carry a knife without valid reason. So okay if it's for work, or camping or fishing, etc. But not just a general EDC. No sharp or pointy objects allowed.

Now I'm not a lawyer, but as I understand it carrying any knife without a valid reason in ROI could land you in hot water. So I don't risk it.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I just carry a Victorinox Classic in red as EDC, along with a Fallkniven TK4 with a slightly higher grind where allowed. The Classic is very old and much resharpened, and the scissor spring is gone, but it’s always there when I need it.

Reactions: R_Fonseca

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
As I understand it you can't carry a knife without valid reason. So okay if it's for work, or camping or fishing, etc. But not just a general EDC. No sharp or pointy objects allowed.

Now I'm not a lawyer, but as I understand it carrying any knife without a valid reason in ROI could land you in hot water. So I don't risk it.

Crickey, I have worked and holidayed in the South for many many years, always with a knife or two of some sort in a pocket !

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
My go to EDC...

The alox farmer is in my pocket wherever I go, and the Recon 1 is generally in my pocket when I'm working around the garden/ house/ shed or anywhere else I have a valid reason to carry a locking blade.

The S35VN steel has stood up to every task that I've thrown at it so far, and the tri ad lock is absolutely solid, with no movement of the blade whatsoever.
acdb47d19af060d4ee9ab5ebd95d79bf.jpg
fecfbeb79d0bba80ffea3752a7e9cd35.jpg
2cb1622e6adf60de83c2d0b7fefe167f.jpg
a61f113759688ecba4c069fd7b5711bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I just carry a Victorinox Classic in red as EDC, along with a Fallkniven TK4 with a slightly higher grind where allowed. The Classic is very old and much resharpened, and the scissor spring is gone, but it’s always there when I need it.
Try and get round to replacing the spring on it bobnewboy. You'll be amazed how good you'll feel about such a detail. :)

Johnjoyce

Oct 3, 2021
Nottingham
Spyderco are a really popular choice within the forum it would seem - I've never owned one myself - did find myself looking at a rescue style Spyderco for canoe trips recently

Reactions: 10_95

10_95

Nov 10, 2021
East Dunbartonshire
The kapara is great for day to day tasks. I use it a lot for food prep as well as general tasks around the house. I think it was originally designed for food prep and it achieves that task very well.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
The Shaman ergonomically is the best folding knife I’ve ever held. The only thing with the larger Spydercos is that you don’t get much cutting edge considering the overall length of them. The Kapara does look like it packs some edge in there though.

I do really like my drop point UKPK. The blade shape that makes it a better all round knife than the leaf for me. Smaller profile in the pocket and more robust tip - I just wish they did a super steel version but the CTSBD1N is great, like a harder version of VG-10.

Reactions: 10_95

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE