Winter Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Hi All,

My daughter has started playing football and looking to avoid cold feet in the winter months, I thought I’d seek the collective wisdom on what to wear.

I currently own:
Walking boots
Mud boots
Alpine boots

Is there anything out there that might be better keeping my feet warm, considering that I am going to be stood around and not walking about too much?

Budget would be up to £100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Felt lined rubber boots are fairly good, I imagine they would cover about all of British weather and mud too- At least here they are within your budget.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Felt lined rubber boots are fairly good, I imagine they would cover about all of British weather and mud too- At least here they are within your budget.

I had something similar from my dad, with zips on the front, and felt liners but I never got to use them as the zips were corroded.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Pac boots.
My Sorels have given me some wonderful service, about 22 years. They have had a few DIY repairs over the last couple of years with Stormsure and inner tube patches but my feet are still being kept warm & dry.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Thanks everyone, searching through the details on Muck Boots website I have discovered that my MuckMasters are rated to -30, so with a pair of decent socks they should be plenty warm enough.
I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply and offer their advice on boots that are available.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Felt insoles, 3 or 4 pairs of them, Warm requires dry insulation to prevent heat transfer. I change insoles for every day of 2+ hours outdoors in my Canadian winter. An afternoon of forest grouse hunting. Yesterday's insoles get stood up some place nice and warm to dry.

Those are under 2 pairs of wool socks. Same deal = dry everything every night.

I can buy felt insoles which have a infrared-reflecting, aluminized shiny coating on one side. Nobody here is raving about the value. I did buy some years back to alternate with ordinary ones and I really could see no difference for tha added prices.

Then, of course, are the genuine snowmobile boots for whole long days out blasting around on sleds. Tolko, for example.
They have removable felt liner booties and you can buy sets of sized spares. Fantastic to jump into those "barefoot" and run outside in snow like sugar to do stuff at -20C.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
If you're standing around it really helps to have a lot of insulation underneath, between you and the cold ground, be that in the boot, the boot itself or on the ground. So boots with thick soles and a felt insole and then find something to stand on (planks of wood, branches, pieces of cardboard, bits of foam mat etc depending on where you are).

Also, make sure you've got room in the boot for air to insulate (and blood to circulate). No point in thick socks if you're then cramming them into boots that are too small for foot+sock and end up squeezing the socks flat.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Hi all,
Thought I would update with where I have got to.
I bought some felt insoles and British Army Arctic socks to wear with my Muckboots - feet got cold the week before Christmas.
Saw these on GoOutdoors https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15896410/meindl-men-s-solden-winter-boots-15896410
Coupled with some Christmas money and a £50 win on the Free Postcode Lottery, I thought I would give them a go - no zip to corrode, first impressions are very warm and a bit stiff/taller than I am used to. My wife borrowed them today and her feet were toasty warm too.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Hi all,
Thought I would update with where I have got to.
I bought some felt insoles and British Army Arctic socks to wear with my Muckboots - feet got cold the week before Christmas.
Saw these on GoOutdoors https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15896410/meindl-men-s-solden-winter-boots-15896410
Coupled with some Christmas money and a £50 win on the Free Postcode Lottery, I thought I would give them a go - no zip to corrode, first impressions are very warm and a bit stiff/taller than I am used to. My wife borrowed them today and her feet were toasty warm too.

Have you worn the Meindls without the liner? If so what are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
My winter boots are Grub´s 8.5 winterline. Keep feet toasty in -20C.

grubs-snowline-8.5-wellington-boots-colour-moss-green-size-9-16034-p.jpg

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Have you worn the Meindls without the liner? If so what are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I haven’t, I suspect they will be loose and slip around. I deliberately bought them so they weren’t snug, even with two pairs of socks on as I only want them for cold weather when standing around/walking the dog, I have walking boots for any serious walking.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
My winter boots are Grub´s 8.5 winterline. Keep feet toasty in -20C.

grubs-snowline-8.5-wellington-boots-colour-moss-green-size-9-16034-p.jpg

I have the Muckmaster boot, which according to their website has a comfort rating of -30, I added wool insoles and wore British Army Arctic Socks, standing around watching football my feet got cold - walking the dog they are fine, as I am moving but standing still they weren’t cutting it.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I haven’t, I suspect they will be loose and slip around. I deliberately bought them so they weren’t snug, even with two pairs of socks on as I only want them for cold weather when standing around/walking the dog, I have walking boots for any serious walking.

I tried them without the liners tonight, I only walked half a mile and cut the walk short.
It was like wearing your dads wellies to school, only worse.
My feet slopped around, the uppers dig in to my calf’s and my ankle bones sit at just the right level to run on the seams so that they are now sore.
Only positive was that my feet didn’t get cold.

marcoruhland

Life Member
Apr 23, 2020
Germany
the problem ist that all isolation works only when there is energy source for boots this is a human feet (the whole human body produce round about 100 watt)

so if you do not move only standing/ sitting or sleeping the body produce less energy especially for the extremity

on the other side "cold feet" ist not an exact value and sometimes not measurably it is more a feeling

so for all this my recommendation ist to use heatpads works great for 4-5 h an additional external energy low price and works great with every (winter) boots so that you don't need this kind of extreme boots nobody would walk with

mr

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Or if you are going to stand still, a thick slab of polystyrene to stand on. Isolates the foot from the cold ground.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE