Making a dead hedge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Good tip there.

Here's mine, you can see how the posts are sprouting nicely

3b9d4c7d0902457bb5c8bca83994b252.jpg

Reactions: dwardo

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Cool, seems to be growing quite well...where I was going to get my willow from has just fallen through. Might have to make do with some cheap fence stakes - unless I can source some in Nottingham area pretty quickly.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
So here's my effort, made from the climbing plant from the side of the house. Need to pop some sweet peas and clematis to grow up it now. Didn't have enough of the climber to do a tight weave, but it should make a decent frame for the climbers and it covers the back of the garden pretty well.

imagejpg3_zps8157468d.jpg

Reactions: Toddy

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well, after 7 years, despite adding to it, my brash pile/dead hedge was looking decidedly flat and no longer presented the imposing barrier it once was. The willow stakes, despite initially sprouting, all died off, probably because there's not much light in that corner (due to adjacent trees). I'm fortunate, I think, to have an absolute glut of logs that have been delivered over the years by various tree surgeons and many of them were piled up nearby, frankly taking up space and doing little good. I have a huge supply of split and dried logs, so have no need or will to burn them, especially as many of the bits are in huge chunks or knotty.

So spent a couple of hours today dumping them on top of the hedge. Many of them rolled behind it, which is fine, as it's a dead space between two fences, and the plan is to pile a couple of tonnes of compost and/or woodchip over it, to encourage rotting. Should give a home to one or two invertebrates, I'd have thought, and should still stop the dogs escaping!

log_barrier.jpeg

Reactions: Stew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE