Blue wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Last weekend I spent a few days on Vlieland (an island in the northern part of NL).

While walking in the dunes where pine and birch trees start to grow I found this piece of wood. It’s all blue / green. I did reminded me of oxidized copper on rooftops.

Does anyone know why this wood was blue? It was the only piece around.

054d12faf8d3c0ef180df2945e18740f.jpg

Reactions: Erbswurst

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I often find blue staining of dead wood but not quite to such an extent. I assumeded it was a fungi of some sort but didn't know what it was. Not seen any fruiting bodies.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I believe it's a fungus called Green Elfcup (Chlorociboria aeruginascens) - the fruiting bodies are only 1 to 5mm diam. It's the mycelium throughout the wood that stains it green/blue.
I've seen that discolouration before, nice to know what causes it now

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Quite common here, what I would like to see are the light emitting fungi. They are rare here but sometimes met.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Quite common here, what I would like to see are the light emitting fungi. They are rare here but sometimes met.
Curiously I saw some L.E.F (light- emitting funghi), I think, in the woods a few weeks back.
I woke up about 4am for the classic hammock wee, pitch black.
On the floor were a few gently glowing strips of light. Very odd, I'd never seen it before.
One was a distinct shape so I brought it home. When I looked at it again in the dark at home, nothing. Perhaps it lost its glow, perhaps my eyes weren't accustomed.
This might answer my question about what it was though...
I'd post a picture, but I don't think it would help!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Curiously I saw some L.E.F (light- emitting funghi), I think, in the woods a few weeks back.
I woke up about 4am for the classic hammock wee, pitch black.
On the floor were a few gently glowing strips of light. Very odd, I'd never seen it before.
One was a distinct shape so I brought it home. When I looked at it again in the dark at home, nothing. Perhaps it lost its glow, perhaps my eyes weren't accustomed.
This might answer my question about what it was though...
I'd post a picture, but I don't think it would help!
Its quite a rare thing to find, I’ve come across it on logs at night but it’s probably rare because it‘s environment specific and part of a microcosm so can’t really be moved.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE