Let’s see your cook kits in use.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Your pan looks like a great space saver, and I like your burner holder too. What sort of holder is that and does the spacing with the pot work efficiently? (Calculated by 2 cups to boiling as a guide).

Thanks.
Holder was a private project on an other forum, not publicly sold.
About the spacing; I think it is quite spot on for the lower set of holes. Flames cover all of the bottom of pot without going outside the flux ring. So minimal loss of heat.

Last edited:
About the spacing; I think it is quite spot on for the lower set of holes. Flames cover all of the bottom of pot without going outside the flux ring. So minimal loss of heat.
I've done hundreds of boil tests over the last few months to optimise a Jetboil pan on an Evernew or Evernew type burner like yours. The optimal positioning of the burner between the top burner jets and the pot base is down to a change of a matter of millimetres.

The optimal setup does have a fair amount of heat going through the Heat Exchanger, without this the Heat Exchanger doesn't work, so your observation about minimal amount of loss would work for not melting your pan sides, but those silicon sides should be durable enough to handle whatever heat might dissipate up the sides.

It looks like the external dimension of your Heat Exchanger ring is around 23cm. I've only tested up to 14cm (Heat Exchanger) pots but there's a correlation between pot base size and distance to pan from burner. For a 23cm pot my results from smaller pots would indicate that you would get a fastest boil at an excess of 60mm distance. It looks like you only have a distance of around 20mm. There should be a significant improvement at 60mm and distances (mm) slightly beyond. Other tests with non-Heat Exchanger pots exhibit the same correlation.

I asked the question because from my experience your spacing looks far too close and wondered if you had done comparative tests at a greater distance? Mine have all shown that significant time savings can be made by adjusting the burner to pot distance and timing the result rather than looking at the flame.

Your burner and pan should easily achieve a 4 minute boil of two cups so if you're already near that time then your setup would seem to work OK. What time are you actually achieving?

In setting the optimal distance you will find that closer will have a longer boil time, extending the distance to the optimal will improve it, then further extension beyond that optimal distance will increase boil time again.

Reactions: Erbswurst
Tried to edit my previous post, but couldn't...

...and use a lid. A lid will reduce boil time by up to 20%.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Here you go, christening a new MSR pot...

51204590236_e148ec1b84_c.jpg

But if I fancy flame it's more likely to be this...

51204592371_1484fa97f6_c.jpg

However, the vast majority of the time, because it's easier and cleaner, it'll be this...

51205661670_0bbb482697_c.jpg

@CaptainCoordinates No use asking me, from your writing I see your are far more competent than me in this matter. I have not timed the boiling. :beerchug:
Give it a try, you might be very pleasantly surprised, and build a pot support which saves you alcohol and time.
To test it, just stick 3 tent pegs in the ground as a pan support holding your pan at the increased height and see how it compares.

Reactions: SSGN_Doc

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Trying to reduce my kit now just own

Pots
Mors K pot (rarely used now but like it)
Crusader mug used 100% of the time
Dutch Stainless Steel mug

Stoves
Hexi and its stove. (used the most)
Jetboil

Haven’t been out in a while so no photos

SSGN_Doc

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2021
WA, USA
Just trying out a couple of things before packing them into the woods. Terava Jaakaripuukko 140, and Sterno folding stove with a ventilated plate to use it as a budget folding twig stove. Dutch canteen cup and Stanley pot are known quantities already.

Terava processed wood well. Made decent wood feathers which lit right up with a ferro rod with the addition of some dryer lint on top to catch the sparks.

Twig stove got things boiling easily and held up to the wood fire well.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
received_4621114844605831.jpegreceived_415805219966605.jpeg

After acquiring this old trangia a few weeks ago I can't quite believe how many times I've used it. Probably 15 times already? Brilliant bit of kit for throwing on a quick brew and equally as good for throwing out a meal for 3 to 4 people.

P.s. that is hen of the woods frying in garlic and butter- we had it on fried sourdough slices :)

Reactions: James.R

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE