Experiences with Cold Steel SRK 3V?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GreyDog

Mar 24, 2021
Holmfirth
Just wondering if anyone can share their experiences with using the Cold Steel SRK in 3V?
Thinking off buying a bigger knife and really like the size/spec of this one.
At £200, thought I'd put a toe in the water first, as it were.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
The steel is decent enough if a bit over priced for but its the rubber handle I don't like

looks tatty within days

Reactions: GreyDog

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I Prefer the SRK still to an S1, their handle is just too small. Had an old one and it was a good knife but it wasn’t this steel which I presume is better.

To be honest don’t get hung up on the steels there is so many good ones out there and choice compared to the past. As long as you know how to sharpen a knife it really doesn’t matter.

Size, comfort and fit more important to me.

Given the choice I would rather have a 5 inch blade every time to the more current popular and common 4 inch.

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
Worth thinking about the varustelaka jakaripukko140 for about£50 or the fallkniven A1 if you want to spend your money? I really wanted an srk when they were cheap, but that seems a lot of money now.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I agree that the SRK has a better handle than the too-small Fallkniven S1, but that is not saying much, and I would not say that the SRK has a good handle.

I bought a CarbonV SRK in 1995 and the design itself was an enormous disappointment. The latest incarnation does look better, but I would be very cautious all the same. They have shortened the ricasso, which is good, and may have thinned the ridiculously thick edge, but you could half the thickness of the early knife and still have too thick an edge. I would expect the edge angle to be the same too-obtuse 40+ degree affair that nearly every company uses. The handle looks the same and while broad enough it is basically a rubber rectangle. It was never comfortable to hold for heavy wood work.

If you want CPM 3V, as I did, I would suggest looking at the Benchmade Leuku 202. Currently out of stock with Heinnie, but there may be other options.
https://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/shop/fixed-knives/benchmade-leuku-202-bushcraft-knife
I did a review here of this knife's smaller brother and while I was not entirely smitten, it was streets ahead of the Cold Steel, and it is significantly cheaper. With the Benchmade I would think about getting a sheath to replace the factory one, and one needs to work the edge down if one wants a wood cutting tool, but the blade shape and handle shape are much better

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
The bark river aurora 2 is spot on as a user in this size and steel. I did have a little QC use in mine, but got for a very good price in the end so going to use and sharp the angle in

I have the SRK and the A1, between the two, I would go for the A1. Between the three, it would be the bark river aurora 2

GreyDog

Mar 24, 2021
Holmfirth
The bark river aurora 2 is spot on as a user in this size and steel. I did have a little QC use in mine, but got for a very good price in the end so going to use and sharp the angle in

I have the SRK and the A1, between the two, I would go for the A1. Between the three, it would be the bark river aurora 2
Much obliged Gra, never seen the Bark River before, looks to be a beauty - and the sheath!

GreyDog

Mar 24, 2021
Holmfirth
I agree that the SRK has a better handle than the too-small Fallkniven S1, but that is not saying much, and I would not say that the SRK has a good handle.

I bought a CarbonV SRK in 1995 and the design itself was an enormous disappointment. The latest incarnation does look better, but I would be very cautious all the same. They have shortened the ricasso, which is good, and may have thinned the ridiculously thick edge, but you could half the thickness of the early knife and still have too thick an edge. I would expect the edge angle to be the same too-obtuse 40+ degree affair that nearly every company uses. The handle looks the same and while broad enough it is basically a rubber rectangle. It was never comfortable to hold for heavy wood work.

If you want CPM 3V, as I did, I would suggest looking at the Benchmade Leuku 202. Currently out of stock with Heinnie, but there may be other options.
https://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/shop/fixed-knives/benchmade-leuku-202-bushcraft-knife
I did a review here of this knife's smaller brother and while I was not entirely smitten, it was streets ahead of the Cold Steel, and it is significantly cheaper. With the Benchmade I would think about getting a sheath to replace the factory one, and one needs to work the edge down if one wants a wood cutting tool, but the blade shape and handle shape are much better
Cheers C, much obliged.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had the SRK in Carbon V. I found it too long and with too much ricasso for my needs - so I shortened it from the tang end. I disliked the handle - so I replaced it with Oak. I was not keen on the grind so tried (and failed) to give it a Convex ... and then had Dave Budd give it a good High Saber grind. I disliked the sheath - so made a leather one.
Quite a nice knife now ....

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
had the SRK in Carbon V. I found it too long and with too much ricasso for my needs - so I shortened it from the tang end. I disliked the handle - so I replaced it with Oak. I was not keen on the grind so tried (and failed) to give it a Convex ... and then had Dave Budd give it a good High Saber grind. I disliked the sheath - so made a leather one.
So not much left of the original and you got a knife you liked. Did you ever think of purchasing the "right" knife in the first place? I have been quillty of similar modification and that got me thinking ...

Reactions: Coach and Corso

GreyDog

Mar 24, 2021
Holmfirth
I had the SRK in Carbon V. I found it too long and with too much ricasso for my needs - so I shortened it from the tang end. I disliked the handle - so I replaced it with Oak. I was not keen on the grind so tried (and failed) to give it a Convex ... and then had Dave Budd give it a good High Saber grind. I disliked the sheath - so made a leather one.
That's a great fireside story John. It reminds me a bit of Trigger's Broom story from Only Fools and Horses! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Corso

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The resulting knife is one of my favourites :D
I have very few straight commercial knives (apart from my teaching set of Moras) as I find my tastes require a bit of custom work on most any knife I buy. I have several knives I had built from scratch - and even those could use improvements :)
I guess that I am one of those folk who are never satisfied :D

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
The resulting knife is one of my favourites :D
I have very few straight commercial knives (apart from my teaching set of Moras) as I find my tastes require a bit of custom work on most any knife I buy. I have several knives I had built from scratch - and even those could use improvements :)
I guess that I am one of those folk who are never satisfied :D
Pictures please John

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I'll go along with gra-farmer. My bit of 3V is a Bark River too, a Bravo 1.5 rampless. I'll be be doing something to thin out the convex behind the edge since I recently got the hang of that trick.

A friend had a Bark River Canadian in 3V, but the edge badly chipped out while shaving some bamboo. He ground that out and it was fine after. Point being: you sometimes hear about a fragility in the factory edge.

Reactions: gra_farmer

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Much obliged Gra, never seen the Bark River before, looks to be a beauty - and the sheath!
I forgot the Bradford guardian 5.5, that is a brilliant tool, handle shaping a little narrow for my liking, but very good 3v steel, an option in the CPM 3V line up

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE