Ed Stafford Forest Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Anyone know anything about these:

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/ed-stafford-forest-smock---moss-61228-p.asp ?

It looks a bit of a shapeless mash-up but it might work well; I have heard that Ridgeline are a pretty good company and Mr Stafford has been involved in some fairly hard core antics, so it might be a possibility... Is it a good thing/worth it or is it someone trading on their reputation to promote an indifferent product?

Pupers

May 6, 2021
Dartmoor
I have a Ridgeline Smock, cannot remember which one, but it is slightly more breathable than the earlier cheaper ones…..Apparently.

Now, I work a Spaniel, Stalk and hike, and it can become rather warm if you are very active for sure. But around my Bushcraft camp it comes into its own, waterproof, comfortable, hard wearing and warm…….And £200 cheaper.

Conclusion: Would I buy another Ridgeline Smock………Most definitely!

Reactions: Madriverrob

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It seems very expensive to me. I had a Monsoon Elite, the newer more breathable version, but it was too much coat for my needs. They’re going for about £200 and if you have a use for one then I’d highly recommend it. I saw Clarksons shepherd wearing one in Clarksons Farm and I reckon that’s probably where it’s going to be a valuable item of clothing. I’ve got a Pintail smock that works well for dog walking and general outdoors, so nothing wrong with the brand at all.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
He's been advertising these on Facebook for a week or so now. Personally I am not sure it justifies the price over the Buffalo Special 6 which I already own.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Nothing worth that price, seriously. Stick a name on it and add £250. Hate companies like this.
I had a Pintail which was sweat box for me and in heavy rain I was soaked through, so it also depends on the persons body. We are all different

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Their classic smock, which looks almost identical, is "only" £135. I really like Ed Stafford's programmes, can't blame him for cashing in, I suppose, although he's famous for surviving with absolutely nothing so this all-singing-all-dancing item is a bit ironic

Reactions: CLEM and Smudge

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The last time I wore a smock-type outer garment was when I was backpacking on the Yorkshire Moors in the 70's. I found it infuriating that to cool down or warm up I had to take my pack off and wrestle the thing over my head. When I was wearing a jumper (yes, jumper in those days, not a fleece) it was nearly impossible to remove without the jumper coming off as well.

I've never worn one since and I've never understood the preference for one TBH - but I accept that some people prefer them. So, from my perspective, no and why?

Reactions: FerlasDave

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
Regarding smocks I have a couple of the UK army surplus ones & wear them a lot especially during the winter ,the lower side zips help provide ventilation,very comfortable wind & shower proof.

Reactions: billycoen

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I have one of the newer ridgeline smocks and, surprisingly actually really like it. It's the thinner material, not like their thicker, almost fluffy material. So it doesn't hold the moisture like the older ones and breaths very well. Very similar the the Ed Stafford one, but, as mentioned above, a fraction of the cost. I just love the write up about what he's done. Same here, except without the cameras and the fame, lol! :joyful:.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have to admit that I think smock-type garments to be the devil's clothes. My experience of them has always included uncomfortable sweatiness, inconvenience and the most appallingly and inconveniently placed pockets. Quite why I raised this subject is, on reflection, beyond me; I suppose that I do admire the kind of antics in which Ed Stafford is involved and thought that anything with his name on might be quite good. It seems that I am mistaken...

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I can imagine that such clothing may be practical on a snow mobile.

If one sells it in warmer areas one can calculate that the buyer will buy a second jacket with full length zipper pretty soon.

Because people often do not admit that they did spend a huge amount of money into an item that doesn't fit the personal needs, because they don't want to admit that they made a pretty expensive fault, they often find excuses for the idiotic purchase. They would tell you that it served very well on the Christmas market last year, or whatever.
And because it served so well once a year they will buy a second over priced jacket that will serve in real life, with good luck from the same maker or seller.

Would he offer just one extremely well constructed jacket in a superior quality, he could sell only one jacket to each client.
There is no need to collect UK made Snugpak jackets or Carinthia or Norrona jackets or well constructed wool jackets or Barbour jackets. Just one of them will surely serve the civil client for decades.

If you sell such stuff you can't become rich.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have to admit that I think smock-type garments to be the devil's clothes. My experience of them has always included uncomfortable sweatiness, inconvenience and the most appallingly and inconveniently placed pockets. Quite why I raised this subject is, on reflection, beyond me; I suppose that I do admire the kind of antics in which Ed Stafford is involved and thought that anything with his name on might be quite good. It seems that I am mistaken...
What I get from the thread is Ridgeline clothing is good, to which I can testify, but regardless of cost, smocks are not for everyone. Pulling the thick Elite II on and off was a huge pain. Also, this type of outerwear isn’t really designed for hard exercise, it’s the kind of thing you can sit in a hide all day in the rain and stay dry, hence the length.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
What I get from the thread is Ridgeline clothing is good, to which I can testify, but regardless of cost, smocks are not for everyone. Pulling the thick Elite II on and off was a huge pain. Also, this type of outerwear isn’t really designed for hard exercise, it’s the kind of thing you can sit in a hide all day in the rain and stay dry, hence the length.

I agree - there's no doubting the quality behind Ridgeline's stuff and I think you're right about it being for those more static moments outdoors. I've had a look at one and the fabric feels very soft and is 'cotton rich' at 70% which makes me think that, when wet, it'll become increasingly heavy. Since the smock feels pretty weighty from the off, one might feel the burden of wearing it in a sustained downpour - not an attractive thought. The central zip is a deep one, though and, if wearing a rucksack with a hip belt, you wouldn't be able to unzip a jacket much further for ventilation purposes. It is an intriguing piece and very well made.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
In all honesty I am not sure that we are the intended audience. Ed Stafford is a household name now and apart from the occasional TV series I do wonder what other sources of income he has, I doubt anything regular.

To me this seems like an easy win, there are plenty of armchair bushcrafters / survivalists I believe who would buy his smock purely because they don't know any better. I know from following him on facebook he is opening a camping site and already has a collaboration for some survival tutorial videos.

In short, they guy is trying to gain more revenue streams to pay for his family's upbringing and I don't think any of us can think badly of him for doing so. If I was in his position I would be trying to use my name / fame to generate income also.

Reactions: CLEM and Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE