My new ventile shirt made for me by Bilmo-p5

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Barn owl had one of uncle Rays over the head canvas shirts that i loved and he would not part with ,I have a load of ventile kicking about and thought about copying Rays shirt .Bilmo-p5 done the work and i am a very happy camper :D,so thanks to Ian for making this for me he made a cracking job and the fit is perfect.
Rays original shirt which was made of a cotton canvas.
Picture3521.jpg

Picture3518.jpg

Bilmos ventile copy for me .
Picture3627.jpg

Picture3623.jpg
Picture3624.jpg

Reactions: bigbear
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That is brilliant! :)

Lets have a report after a month or two of use.

I have a couple of those Woodlore shirts, no longer made these days, I guess they weren't selling so well at nearly £100 a piece, very well thought out garment though.

Reactions: CLEM

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
That is brilliant! :)

Lets have a report after a month or two of use.

I have a couple of those Woodlore shirts, no longer made these days, I guess they weren't selling so well at nearly £100 a piece, very well thought out garment though.

I noticed they were not on Rays site now great shirt but very expensive .

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like that, good work Ian

I've never fancied a ventile next to the skin though due to the cardboard effect, I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it Gill

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
That is nice piece of work :)

I'm still a bit of a newbie to this forum and have followed a thrifty, off the peg approach to outdoor wear up to this point, so you will forgive what is perhaps a silly question.

Is ventile all it is cracked up to be, as retail garments made from it appear to be rather expensive?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Very nice work by Ian.

Kernowek, ventile is for me a great material as a jacket/smock.haven't had it as a shirt.

Some love it,some hate it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The Woodlore ones are Orvis Malpai shirts rebranded, £69 from Orvis

Someone mentioned this before, however they are not those shirts, the might look similar, they may even have be made by Orvis for Woodlore, but that is unlikely as Woodlore went out of their way to point out that these were manufactured in the UK.

:)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Thank you for your comments.
This was my first attempt at Ventile, although I practised quite a lot on scraps from the cutting-out before I did it for real. As John said, it isn't particularly easy to sew. 'Ventile' recommend flat felled seams, which are ok for straght seams but do not lend themselves easily to curves. I found it needed a great deal of care to get even a simple flat seam pucker-free on a curve. It also seemed to blunt the needles quite quickly.

I used a modest Janome domestic machinewhich was mostly fine, but it wasn't keen on some of the multiple thicknesses so I'm using a more heavy-duty machine that I have (another Janome/ New Home) for another Ventile project I have on the go.

Here's a detail of the pocket / placket area for Mr Sandbender...

PocketPlacketDetail2.jpg

Attachments

• PocketPlacketDetail.jpg
    PocketPlacketDetail.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I used a modest Janome domestic machinewhich was mostly fine, but it wasn't keen on some of the multiple thicknesses so I'm using a more heavy-duty machine that I have (another Janome/ New Home) for another Ventile project I have on the go....Here's a detail of the pocket / placket area for Mr Sandbender..."

Thanks for that, fantastic work. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE