Tarp I made

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
A few months ago I made a tarp out of cheap ripstop off ebay, I finally tested is out in my garden. Just a simple Tarp Tent setup with a treking pole set to 120cm.

JOdYD13.jpg

ctrQFWP.jpg

zQULLJ0.jpg

QgwbqEJ.jpg

BoP4n6V.jpg

dcQSJv5.jpg

vYZnssv.jpg

Really happy with how it came out.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks, I made a few stuff bags and bits and Bob's to get my eye in, I've not used a sewing machine for about 20 years. Fun little project. I'm thinking about making another with lighter better material and a heavy duty oilskin one.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks!

Ever since I saw that setup a couple of years ago I really like it. Really quick to setup once you've done it a couple of times. Great in the rain if you set the wind to the back of it and still can give nice views out of it.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
It's based on the DD 3x3m tarp. But the ripstop is narrower once you take off the salvage. So it ended up being 285x285cm. It's got 16 tie outs and all of them round the sides are reinforced. The center is a French flat felled seam so I didnt reinforce that as it's already 4 layers of ripstop. I just sewed in bartabs to hold the 14mm grosgrain.

Last edited:

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks again!

I'd say a tip with that setup is peg it out tight especially the front 2 pegs. I find it gives me a constant nice tight setup.

Also when pegging out the front ones, go to the 2nd tie out in, then peg the corner tie out about 6 inches (or 15cm) in from that.

Also, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I always guy out the side ones to the rear peg before doing the center front one.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Two of those would be a very posh camp for two. One for kit and kitchen,
one for life. What will you do for windy drafts around the bottom edge?

I've used lots bigger electric and power tools that could take my head off.
Sewing machines still scare the life out of me.

Reactions: Amon81

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
What will you do for windy drafts around the bottom edge?

Easy, I always have a pouch of 12 titanium sheephook pegs as they weigh nothing. I just use tie outs that are round the edge to hold down the walls.

You can also change the hight of the pole, higher leaves a gap that can have nice air movement in the heat, or lower to seal round it.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Thought I'd add to this by showing some making of pics:

zwijzeS.jpg

Was a bit of a challenge getting that much material through a £30 sewing machine.

9iO4pFc.jpg

Fairly straight, I'm happy with it considering the machine and how rusty I am at using a sewing machine.

nsjktow.jpg

The underside.

IRjGZcC.jpg

I used wonder tape to hold the reinforcements in place and sewed them on.

zmEcyzY.jpg

VERY handy cheap clips to help hold the rolled hem as i sewed it.

kXUnqyg.jpg

RzFbdAH.jpg

1EfOMA3.jpg

Finally, I sewed on the tie out tabs, using more the type on a sail as far as I know. I used 14mm Grosgrain ribbon.

Reactions: MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE