What does you daybag contain?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
Anybody else carry a blizzard bag? Sport for summer, main one for winter. Always have a plastic poncho, for other people.
Got caught out last month, dog barking at squirrel up tree got his paw stuck between two trunks, grew together higher up,so no bending it and thinner one wrist thick. I had and used a rangergrip, but now carrying a silky gomboy, just in case he does it again. These things always happen when you haven't got your good kit with you, so the moral is always carry your gear. A hori hori is quite useful, too.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Anybody else carry a blizzard bag? Sport for summer, main one for winter. Always have a plastic poncho, for other people.
Got caught out last month, dog barking at squirrel up tree got his paw stuck between two trunks, grew together higher up,so no bending it and thinner one wrist thick. I had and used a rangergrip, but now carrying a silky gomboy, just in case he does it again. These things always happen when you haven't got your good kit with you, so the moral is always carry your gear. A hori hori is quite useful, too.
I used to but it's an overkill. Now I have the SOL bivvi in my first aid kit as a hypothermia item that can also be used a s a survival item. If you unroll it once they fold really flat to the size of a notepad.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Just recently setup a day pack, meant more as a Rural and Urban bag to have with me when out and about with or without the family. Items are:

Paracord
Rain Poncho's x2
Mini survival kit (Wallet card multitool, wetfire, tinder, alcohol wipes, waterproof pen & pencil, emergency wistle)
Small ultra lightweight 2.1m x 1.5m tarp
Flat packed emergency water containers
Mini Table
4 x 500ml Regular Water Bottles
1 x 500ml Sparkling Water (for the Mrs)
First aid kit
Microfibre towel
USB Battery's & cables
Spork
Head Torch
Multitool
TBS Wildcat
Tissues / Wet Wipes / Alcohol Gel
Gloves
Medication

If I were heading into rural areas alone I would swap some of the water and add a 750 metal mug and some food in the form of flapjacks and pasta.

Wouldn't mind some suggestions for additions to cater for when im out and about with the family (small kids.) The kit as it stands was thrown together and I feel like I could do with more stuff handy for the family.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
We use traditional nappies and you can buy zippered waterproof bags to keep soiled nappies in while you're out and about. They come in all sorts of funky patterns and will be handy if you've got small kids who are liable to get their clothes ruined throughout the day. Spare clothes are also a godsend, if you've got a spare set of clothes vacuum pack them and they'll remain small and waterproof.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Wouldn't mind some suggestions for additions to cater for when im out and about with the family (small kids.) The kit as it stands was thrown together and I feel like I could do with more stuff handy for the family.

A whistle each is a good idea. We give our kids a small walkie talkie each and also have one, so they can wander safely and still have comms. The eldest (12) also has a mobile phone.

Wet wipes are a god send. In the winter, reusable hand warmers are great for chilly fingers.

I always have a few little packs of jelly sweets to hand. They keep morale up and a fast energy supply if little legs are waning.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeeMiracle

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Most common autumn mountain trips involve a great deal of very low speed driving, searching for our forest grouse (Ruffed, Dusky and Franklin's). My day pack contains all sorts of personal hygiene things a couple of bog rolls and so on. Those are the essentials as far as I'm concerned.
The fire kit must have half a dozen different starters from hurricane matches to a 10 minute railroad flare. Nice butane cartridge stove ("just in case.")

Food is all kinds of fridge stuff and fruit packed into a couple of small hard-side insulboxes.
Water is a 5 gal water tank which, in autumn, is never left in the vehicle in case it ices up. Field dressing grouse then a wash up in 20C water with a towel is heaven on a -5C day. Seems like a lot of water for a day trip but I might just need to hand out a gallon or three to somebody else.

You all would love this. We go up and putz around, maybe find a couple of bags of sand for polishing stone. Bit of a hunt with hammers and stone chisels for big (1" ) pyrite crystals. Something to do while we fix a hot drink.

There's always a fresh rock slide every spring to paw through. Then we get lucky and pop a few grouse so supper is assured. Fingered, breaded, fried up, plum sauce, Chili chicken sauce and some sort of vino from a case here and there.

Last day of last year's season, I shot a very good-sized Ruffed grouse. My only bird of the entire season. The biggest joke was the argument about who had the best sense of balance to bend over and filed dress the bird! I had to lean on the back bumper of the truck to get it done!

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
25litre Black military style molle bag with two bottle holders (Bought years ago and never let me down).

Stanley adventure set
Brs 3000t mini stove
Jetboil gas Canister
Trangia stove with small stainless flask for meths.
Med kit
Painkillers
Sak, Fixed blade and a multitool.
Ferrous rod, Jetflame Lighter and Bic chuckable.
Tactical pen (xmas gift) has a glass breaker that works well.
10m parcord.
Coffee, Hot choccy sachets,
2 x 500ml water.
Innertube and a few vaseline soaked cotton wool in sealed plastic straws.
Mini maglite, an Led clip light and some chem lights
Mini kettle.
Usually have some food in there too.
Going to have a sort out and see what can be taken out or added.
Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
100 metres Ariadne thread?
May we call you Theseus or are the circumstances really labyrinthical like that?

Reactions: cbrdave
my daypack is a shoulder bag (unfortunately most of my outings these days are only a beach trip with my little friend Biscuit (a dog) and take only about 2.5 hours... occasionally i'm visiting a friend who has a jungle property but the set-up in this case remains the same) which contains:
fire kit, pocket camera, small container (originally from some japanese energy drink) with some bandaids, some dunny paper, cheap p38 can opener copy and some fish hooks + a bit of line, small bag with 10m 5mms rapelling cord, titanium spoon (found brand-new), roll of electrical tape, small japanese waterstone, pair of surgical rubber gloves (first aid item before someone asks...)and a piece of orange marker tape, small torch,some cordage and since 2weeks again a pocketboy :), sometimes also a "silva mini ranger"
hopefully one day a monocular as well....
if it looks like it's raining i'll wrap a lightweight rainjacket around my waist, water is usually not carried around here as i can manage that long without water or grab a coconut but i've a 500ml stainless steel bottle i can carry on a shoulder strap and another one i can hang from my belt

in northern Australia i carried my 1qt canteen (+A.D.F. cup) in a PLCE pouch (+second canteen if needed) as well, using a webbing belt with Y-harness (== less sweaty than a backpack) when i went a few hours bushbashing or fishing

if i know i'm out for a full day i put my shoulder bag inside my daypack (a "tatonka" daypack i've since 2006), together with notebook, poncho, head torch, larger FAK and maybe a snack

several sharp items and a walking stick are usually with me as well

Last edited:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Just out of interest, seeing as alot of seem to be carrying a similar set up. What sort of weight are people looking at. I just weighed my general winter day bag and it came in at 9kg. Granted, it includes a trangia 27 + 300ml fuel bottle and 2 ltrs of water (enough for 2 of us).

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
Weather permitting,the wife,the two dogs and me are off for a few hours into the forest.I carry a shoulder bag(gas mask bag) 500ml water,speedster stove,titanium pot,I.D.A(fuel),a small first aid kit,SWMBO was a paramedic,so its basic but useful.Add some coffee and snacks,for us and the dogs.My wife will carry her camera and a few bits and bobs,mora knife,torch and nunchucks.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
  • Daysac
  • Beanie, gloves carry
  • Waterproof & Trousers
  • Food + Water + a bit extra
  • Osprey Waterbottle or platypus, Crusader Cup, hexi stove
  • First Aid Kit
  • HeadTorch
  • Map, route card, ortlieb map case
  • Compass, pace counter
  • Penknife, Fire Steel, Lighter, Whistle
  • Carry fleece jacket, spare socks
  • Emergency group shelter
  • Phone, strobe

as a result of a recent sad experience involving a homeless dog (sadly many of them over here...) i just added a small container with a handful of dogfood to my daypack: mainly to provide a homeless dog with a bite to eat if i can't help otherwise but it could also be used as bait for a trap or even food for myself:greedy: if a jungle trip went REALLY wrong...

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
IMG_20220109_145641.jpgIMG_20220109_144916.jpg
Norwegian Patrol Pack contents.
1. Sit/kneeling pad. (Really feel the benefit of it these days.)
2. Tenth Wonder Poncho Tarp with some cordage.
3. Cuppa Soup, Pasta and coffee. These store in the plasic mug, inside the coffee pouch.
4. Shemagh, Always handy.
5. Crusader canteen and mug.
6. Wet wipes, FAK and KFS.
7. Spare cordage.
8. Fire kit.
9. Torch.
10. Spare socks.
11. Cloak of invisibility. (Invaluable when in stealth mode).
12. Trangia burner, stand and fuel.
13. Opinel, Laplander and Mora.
14. Beanie. (not shown).
If needed, extra water can be strapped to the outside of the pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE