Courgette Glut Ideas!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, we've come to that part of the year again when we can't give away courgettes as fast as they are growing :)

Apart from the usual fry in butter and garlic with mushrooms (which I like), I've made battered courgette strips, courgette fritters (cheesy version, spicy version and even a sweet version) and the missus has made courgette chutney, pickled baby courgettes and courgette tea-bread. All of which, I have to say, have been fantastic.

But, what other ideas are out there? :) (I am fully aware that the real answer to my dilemma is not to grow as many)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Made this for lunch.

Grate up a courgette, a small onion, some cheddar cheese and season well with salt, pepper, mustard and smoked paprika. Stir through some finely chopped red pepper.
Beat two eggs with a little milk. Mix it all together.
Slice up a a big tomato into quarter inch slices.

Melt some butter (or use olive oil) in a frying pan that you can cover with a lid. Any lid, I used the one from a big pot.

Lay the tomato slices on the bottom of the frying pan and pour the mixture over the top. Level it out a bit, and then put the lid on the pan.

I cooked mine at 4 on the electric cooker, then dropped the heat to 3. That's about two thirds of the heat of the ring dropped to half if that's any comparison to a gas cooker.

I left it on the heat for ten minutes and then had a quick look and scraped around the edges with a silicon spatula. It looked pretty sound, so I sprinkled a little red cheddar on top and gave it another couple of minutes.

It was very good :) and it works fine with whatever left overs you have. Smoked sausage seems to suit the meateaters.

Reactions: LambofGod and Broch

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I see you've made tea bread, but try replacing half the carrots in a carrot cake with courgettes. Or even all of them for a courgette cake.
I also make courgette and lemon muffins. Courgette muffins with lemon cream cheese icing!delicious!
(Cream cheese, icing sugar, and lemon juice)
Grated courgette potato onion and carrots made into an omelette, or frttata with paprika and cheddar cheese.
Rattatwoee! Simple and tasty. Don't need aubergine if not available, still tasty side dish, or I often use as a veggie fling for lasagna.
Try drying them, I dry loads each year and use them up in stews o er the winter. Dehydrator is best, but can be oven dried. Store in kilner jar, or well sealable jar in a cool dark cupboard.
Dip in lemon juice before drying to help keep the colour.
Swopsies, swopped some today for a load of blackcurrants, as my bush had big bud, so had to go. :(

Last edited:

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
If you mean a small squash like a zucchini .
Slice the very thin spice to taste the if you have an air frier put them in and cook.
They will come out like potato chips crisps??
If no air frier some oil on a pan and fry them crisp.
Jon

Reactions: Broch

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I got a green one in my latest veg order. We call them zuccini.

I'll mix up a batch of Crab Rangoon (crab, cream cheese, onion, herbs & spices)
I plan to boat slice the thing in half. Carefully knife out the centers and load with
the crab goop. Then lay the gut slices on the tops, paint with EVO and bake in the oven.
If it's ugly, I can still enjoy the CR filling with a spoon.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
You could try reducing the number of fertilised female flowers by eating the male flowers :) Delicious and very common in Italy. Usually cleaned, dipped in a simple batter and fried in a little oil; but I have also had them stuffed with cheese and anchovies, batter dipped and fried.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The canned coleslaw works well with courgette added. Just don't grate the courgette too fine or it ends up mush next to the cabbage and carrots.

It also works well in the canned mix of carrots, raisins, turmeric and black pepper.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tried the savoury swiss roll thing with the courgettes in the egg mix for the roll part. They were fine, just not a lot of taste to that part.
Like this I mean.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE