New blood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Its nice to see new blood returning on the forum, over the past few years a lot of names have disappeared and off to pastures new (face book, for example).
May things return to the early “teens” and a lot more activity with meet ups, many have just drifted away, lock down hasn’t helped or has it?

Reactions: CLEM and Toddy

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I must admit I drifted away a bit, mainly due to a snipey atmosphere that one character in particular seemed to generate. ( Seems to have gone now. )

My interests have shifted a bit with age too but it is nice to see some new members popping up. It would be sad to see this forum go the way of some others. There is so much good stuff here.

The trick is to ask questions, it doesn't matter if they have been asked before, they create conversation and that is the heart of a place like this.

To the older members, don't just say "Use the search facility" or things like that, it is so discouraging. Remember, we were all newbies at some time.

windz1000r

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2021
derbyshire
I must admit I drifted away a bit, mainly due to a snipey atmosphere that one character in particular seemed to generate. ( Seems to have gone now. )

My interests have shifted a bit with age too but it is nice to see some new members popping up. It would be sad to see this forum go the way of some others. There is so much good stuff here.

The trick is to ask questions, it doesn't matter if they have been asked before, they create conversation and that is the heart of a place like this.

To the older members, don't just say "Use the search facility" or things like that, it is so discouraging. Remember, we were all newbies at some time.
i am a new member and have come over here from a recommendation buy someone off facebook.
as it may be a good place to buy a axe.
but without a doubt the biggest killer of groups forums ect is
dont ask a question without useing the search function.

ask a question
gets 17 people who respond with you need to use the search function. when most of the time they could have answered in the time it took them to type that

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think it’s the wrong answer anyway. The only way we are going to have new conversations is for people to ask questions and get new answers. If everyone just searched for the answer, then there would be zero discussions due to the immense amount of knowledge and posts accumulated over 20 years plus.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think so too.
It's conversation that is the life blood of any forum, and everyone learns. What was said ten or fifteen years ago might well still be sound, true, relevant, but surely someone has learnt something new in the interim ?

Reactions: weekender

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
In my studies of educational theory, I came across the concept of "The Tiger-Hunting Curriculum". Broadly, this describes a curriculum or body of knowledge that has become moribund by being rooted in the past and which has failed to adapt to new knowledge. For example, I was taught in the 1950s that an atom was the smallest, indivisible particle of matter.

My physician daughter-in-law has pointed out that in her discipline, what was sound, true and relevant last year may be totally reversed this year as the result of new research or events such as the current pandemic. I know that she works constantly to keep up with the most recent knowledge. If doctors didn't do this we'd still be in padded cells and straight jackets. This applies equally to other areas of knowledge, of course. Knowledge of anything is not static but is in a state of dynamic equilibrium.

It seems to me that the great contribution to human development made by the young is the asking of questions. As elders, our duty is to answer those questions TO THE BEST OF OUR KNOWLEDGE. By implication, we need to check whether our knowledge is still sound, relevant and up to date. I found this the best part of being a primary school teacher: my pupils helped me to learn a lot. Parents and grandparents will have had similar experience.

I remember telling my sons that I could not provide them with answers as to how to live their lives as the world in which they became adults would not be the same as mine had been. However, I did feel my responsibility was to provide them with the sort of questions they should be asking.

As to forums and knowledge: even at the age of 79 and 3/4, there are things I don't know and only this week needed to ask on this what to do about the damage to my plum tree and got some sound, if varying, answers. The thing is, that although I didn't know about something, I did know the best place to seek an answer!

I love that the continuity of human knowledge transcends individual lives. That is why I enjoy the trip reports of parents and children sharing experience and why I am very heartened that there are people like Poppy here to take up the baton of passing on the knowledge of something we all care about.

New blood always welcome.

Reactions: weekender and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE