Covid 2nd jab

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I felt a bit tired and achy on the first..nothing on the second. I am very lucky, we live a few hundred metres from a vaccination centre and were called one snowy night to stop a waste of vaccines. My wife and I are both teachers, so we, and some police were allowed to mop up leftovers.

I have read this whole thread and my tuppence worth includes daily dealing with those who doubt the pandemic and the mitigations, causing immeasurable anxiety and stress to many of us by not having the decency to follow guidelines around us. For me it was mainly older teens, but family members and even for my wife, colleagues.

My father came out of retirement as a consultant pharmacist and was overjoyed when we said we have been vaccinated. I would listen to his opinion, or my sister (GP) and my brother (ICU nurse who had covid in each wave) over any anti. And, yes, they are entitled to their opinion, but they will get no time for me.

A colleague of mine was asymptomatic but had a positive test after regular screening. He believes he has had it twice and knows it barely affects him, but his consideration for others, and the unknown level to which it will affect them means he is considered and respectful in how he behaves around them.

I wonder if that is all that is missing.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I had my first have a couple weeks ago and I was wrecked!!! So hoping the second won't build on that!

Wife and I had our jabs about 11am, sat down for the required 15mins.. no issues, got home had some grub then sat down together having a coffee and I felt my energy draining, started nodding and then zonk, I was out for 20 odd mins, then had some meetings which were a struggle, then more zz'ing none of which satisfied my fatigue... Then both our arms were sore, wife had a headache. Next day we were both pretty useless all round, brain fog or sort of inability to stay focused enough to actually achieve anything... Still tired, she still had a headache, then by night time I had a headache too... Next day fine... Maybe a little fatigue but nothing noticeable.... V strange!

Got our 2nd booked in for August then we're fully 5G ready :rofl:!!

@Dougster ahhh there's hope yet then!

I agree with you that the anti's can have their opinions, but one thing that gets me is that every GP or medical practitioner I know has got the vaccine... All of them...so considering medical staff and anyone with any particular reputable or related employment suggests it's a good idea, it begs the question of the legitimacy of the anti's info.... Or rather it just highlights the blatant illegitimacy of the majority of their stuff. Yes people have got ill from the vaccine, however I know people who are deathly allergic to penicillin, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be administered to the majority of people.

Locally there was a guy walking around Plymouth with a megaphone dressed kinda scruffily (I'm not one to often talk), with loads of piercings and facial tattoos (which is totally his choice) spouting anti-vax stuff. I mean the info he has, or the info the doctors have....

Last edited:
Reactions: Dougster

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
I had my first have a couple weeks ago and I was wrecked!!! So hoping the second won't build on that!

Wife and I had our jabs about 11am, sat down for the required 15mins.. no issues, got home had some grub then sat down together having a coffee and I felt my energy draining, started nodding and then zonk, I was out for 20 odd mins, then had some meetings which were a struggle, then more zz'ing none of which satisfied my fatigue... Then both our arms were sore, wife had a headache. Next day we were both pretty useless all round, brain fog or sort of inability to stay focused enough to actually achieve anything... Still tired, she still had a headache, then by night time I had a headache too... Next day fine... Maybe a little fatigue but nothing noticeable.... V strange!

Got our 2nd booked in for August then we're fully 5G ready :rofl:!!

@Dougster ahhh there's hope yet then!

I agree with you that the anti's can have their opinions, but one thing that gets me is that every GP or medical practitioner I know has got the vaccine... All of them...so considering medical staff and anyone with any particular reputable or related employment suggests it's a good idea, it begs the question of the legitimacy of the anti's info.... Or rather it just highlights the blatant illegitimacy of the majority of their stuff. Yes people have got ill from the vaccine, however I know people who are deathly allergic to penicillin, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be administered to the majority of people.

Locally there was a guy walking around Plymouth with a megaphone dressed kinda scruffily (I'm not one to often talk), with loads of piercings and facial tattoos (which is totally his choice) spouting anti-vax stuff. I mean the info he has, or the info the doctors have....
Have you seen the infection rate in Plymouth, it's horrifying, what with city centre and Barbican area reporting a 400-799 case density where today PCC told us the today's infection rate is the highest it's ever been - something I can confirm from my own records ( yeah I'm one of the sad gits that records stuff to understand stuff beyond headlines)

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Have you seen the infection rate in Plymouth, it's horrifying, what with city centre and Barbican area reporting a 400-799 case density where today PCC told us the today's infection rate is the highest it's ever been - something I can confirm from my own records ( yeah I'm one of the sad gits that records stuff to understand stuff beyond headlines)
Honestly I have not, I tend to avoid the news day to day and catch up every week or two weeks. However that doesn't sound good at all!! However I'm not surprised that across the nation cases are rising, as I see it nothing has actually changed. A lot of people are vaccinated, but that is against symptoms not against catching the virus and subsequently spreading the damn thing... I guess bring on wave number 3? 4?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I’m in isolation for the next 10 days, I’ve just flown back from Saudi, and I’ll b getting my second jab the day I get out…..

Reactions: Toddy

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Honestly I have not, I tend to avoid the news day to day and catch up every week or two weeks. However that doesn't sound good at all!! However I'm not surprised that across the nation cases are rising, as I see it nothing has actually changed. A lot of people are vaccinated, but that is against symptoms not against catching the virus and subsequently spreading the damn thing... I guess bring on wave number 3? 4?
If you don't observe the news and yes there is a good case for that, observing the following interactive government function is worthwhile ;

Interactive map of cases

Wherein , note one can zoom right in to observe individual streets if one wants to and it was the observation of this tool on my part that has caused me to track infections in the region, to watch the current wave emanate up from the far south west of Cornwall for myself to consider the kicking the south west is unusually getting this time around was seeded by the G7 event and that based upon my observation of exactly where the highest infection density actually was of which initially was in the areas actually used my the G7 and it's support

I initially started this venture to gauge threat beyond what the media says, the media, that in normal times acts as if the SW doesn't even exist.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
It is strange that all the "Hot" holiday places, eg. Newquay, Falmouth seem to be the places with the highest number of infections, wonder what will happen when all the restrictions are lifted next week?, I am just glad I live a bit inland and away from some of these main tourist areas.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
It is strange that all the "Hot" holiday places, eg. Newquay, Falmouth seem to be the places with the highest number of infections, wonder what will happen when all the restrictions are lifted next week?, I am just glad I live a bit inland and away from some of these main tourist areas.
I live about as far from the sea as you can get in England, we're in the 2nd highest category, same as Newquay, not touristy here at all

Reactions: Silverclaws2

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
All ? You haven't been paying attention. :rolleyes:
Well I don't know ,what restrictions actually remain now, never mind on the 19th, at Wembley and Wimbledon hardly anyone had a mask on, including prince William, who's wife had to isolate recently after going to the tennis, no one seems to be bothering much nowadays, I do know Tesco said you will still need to wear a mask in their shops, which makes sense, I am sure it's the same at Asda et al.
We have already seen an influx of tourists down here, the roads are jam packed at times, so if there are any restrictions left, I hope they publicise them.

If you look at the hot spots that are inland, and away from well known tourist spots, a lot of the growth in the infection rate can be put down to diversity of the people, some ethnic groups seem to be advised not to have the vaccine, a lot of vegans wont have it because they think there is albumen in it, as a lot of vaccines have it in, not sure if it is in this one, University towns and cities seem to have high incidents too.
I think the Medical academics are against any lifting of restrictions, especially if it allows people to come in and out of the country. But peoples attitudes are changing, they want their freedom and they don't seem to care what it costs.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I felt a bit tired and achy on the first..nothing on the second. I am very lucky, we live a few hundred metres from a vaccination centre and were called one snowy night to stop a waste of vaccines. My wife and I are both teachers, so we, and some police were allowed to mop up leftovers.

I have read this whole thread and my tuppence worth includes daily dealing with those who doubt the pandemic and the mitigations, causing immeasurable anxiety and stress to many of us by not having the decency to follow guidelines around us. For me it was mainly older teens, but family members and even for my wife, colleagues.

My father came out of retirement as a consultant pharmacist and was overjoyed when we said we have been vaccinated. I would listen to his opinion, or my sister (GP) and my brother (ICU nurse who had covid in each wave) over any anti. And, yes, they are entitled to their opinion, but they will get no time for me.

A colleague of mine was asymptomatic but had a positive test after regular screening. He believes he has had it twice and knows it barely affects him, but his consideration for others, and the unknown level to which it will affect them means he is considered and respectful in how he behaves around them.

I wonder if that is all that is missing.
Good post mate, thank you. It’s good to hear you’re doing ok up Scotland way, wish we’d cracked the timing a bit better for a meet at that pub on Dartmoor, I forget the name now, was a while back. :)

I had reactions to both my vaccinations, in much the same way as people say a flu jab makes them feel like they had the flu. It is infinitely better than either having Covid-19 (the illness) or spreading SARS-CoV-2. (The virus). We seem to have forgotten and confused the two, and I’m as guilty as anyone of using ‘Covid‘ to describe the entire pandemic.

The anti approach is galling, particularly regarding masks. Dentists and surgeons wear them for a reason. It’s not difficult or intrusive, we all see pics of Asian people wearing them, particularly the polite Japanese. I thought it was to do with pollution, but it’s because they may may have a cold or don’t want to pass one on. It’s a simple gesture of care.

Last edited:

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
The G7 crowd used also used Falmouth and Newquay, but, the hot holiday locations were the same hot holiday locations last year and those areas didn't suffer last year what they have done this year.

I believe there has been four recent Covid deaths in Cornwall and I heard today Torbay has just had two covid deaths.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
I want to know why the daily vaccine rate has gone so low.
It's holiday season don't forget & you can't vaccinate 100% of the population anyway as there will always be a percentage that refuse for whatever reason. When you approach the upper limit of the volunteers, it's normal that the vaccination rate starts to slow down. But don't worry, it will pick up again when the govt. decides to use strong arm tactics to coerce the doubters into getting jabbed like they did in France.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It's holiday season don't forget & you can't vaccinate 100% of the population anyway as there will always be a percentage that refuse for whatever reason. When you approach the upper limit of the volunteers, it's normal that the vaccination rate starts to slow down. But don't worry, it will pick up again when the govt. decides to use strong arm tactics to coerce the doubters into getting jabbed like they did in France.
When I went for my first it was a 50 minute queue with 15 - 20 bays vaccinating.

At the same leisure centre for my second, no queue, walked straight in and to a jab in one of the three bays open. I really doubt that all those on my first jab were on their second.

I get that it's not going to be the same as at it's height when people were having first and second at the same time but it just seems to be dropping off too much to my eye.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
My experience with the queues was similar, I had to go to a place in Milton Keynes for my first(10miles from home), there was a line outside and inside, and it was probably half an hour. Second one was at a local town hall, about 2 miles away and the queue consisted of four or five people. Earlier on, that local site was only doing older people in the local area. I knew it was there, but I could not book in to it. So fewer people could mean that there are more sites that the fewer people are being spread over, so double reduction in apparent numbers.

I brought my second jab date forward two weeks.

I think some people who had unpleasant reactions to their first jabs have been in no particular hurry to get their second.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Don’t forget the vaccine programme was chucked together very quickly, there is bound to be loads of variation in people’s experiences.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
It's holiday season don't forget & you can't vaccinate 100% of the population anyway as there will always be a percentage that refuse for whatever reason. When you approach the upper limit of the volunteers, it's normal that the vaccination rate starts to slow down. But don't worry, it will pick up again when the govt. decides to use strong arm tactics to coerce the doubters into getting jabbed like they did in France
The vaccine hesitancy rate in the UK is 6% compared to the US rate of 26%, for it to be remarked, across the western world Britain has a particularly low rate of vaccine hesitancy. So if vaccine hesitancy is not the reason or all of the reason for the declining vaccination rates. something else must be at work, like perhaps the supply of vaccines. For authorities where they plan, can only plan, to send out invites based upon what they have as opposed to what they should be getting and there has been problems with supply, for perhaps the low rate of vaccinations we are seeing now, ( 10%/day for the 1st jab) to be due to past constrictions of supply. And I have heard of folk being turned away from vaccination centres, of which it is stated will only happen if there is a problem with supply.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
The vaccine hesitancy rate in the UK is 6% compared to the US rate of 26%, for it to be remarked, across the western world Britain has a particularly low rate of vaccine hesitancy
I'm always wary of precise statistics, especially when they're are bandied about as certitudes....as for the UK's vaccine hesitancy, it appears to me to be greater than 6% for the COVID jab.
Other factors may come into play too regarding lowering vax rate; the low number of hospitalistions & trickling death rate despite increasing infection rates, it's bound to deter some from getting jabbed if they see there's no emergency.
Many too must be realising by now that even if everyone was vaccinated, it wouldn't mean a return to normality i.e. pre-march 2020 so what's the point. Online conspiracy theories are gaining considerable ground & the lies, threats, contradictions, blithering incompetence & forever changing the goal posts of the powers-that-be isn't exactly helping to persuade those reluctant to take the jab from doing so. Faith in both the govt. & the health authorities has been seriously damaged for many & there is a lot of anger out there..

Reactions: CLEM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE