Bromwell Frying Pan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Limey Pete

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
pnom, penh
So Oxford English Dictionary does not state any rules for how much one can carry while out in the bush crafting it, I presume.
True enough. Buy a handcart and wheel a cast iron stove along the Pennine Way for thirty miles and endure the laughter.
It is not against any rules . . .

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
True enough. Buy a handcart and wheel a cast iron stove along the Pennine Way for thirty miles and endure the laughter.
It is not against any rules . . .

You’re still confusing sitting in the woods with a knife and a fire for a few days with your Bear Grylls knife. Buy a handcart and wheel a cast iron stove along the Pennine Way for thirty miles and endure the laughter with the opinion that it involves ultralight travel rather than taking stuff off to the woods or having a semi permanent set-up?

None of us is likely to wheel a cast iron stove anywhere for miles, nor a big axe or bell tent, but if you think people would laugh then you need to look in the mirror and wonder who that might be smirking and making smartarse comments when someone is looking for info on a type of pan they want. It’s trolling.

Last edited:

Limey Pete

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
pnom, penh
Ah well. I'm sure some here will see the lunacy of carrying a four pound cast iron frying pan out into the countryside, and calling it bushcraft.
I use a set of army mess tins.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
It's amazing the deals you can get on second hand Le Creuset. Become a bit of a pastime of mine. Got to put the time in, and the best bargains are the ones with damaged teflon coatings; which of course you are going to sand off in any case before seasoning.

Easy to hike-in the heavies like axes and fire irons and dutch ovens and canvas tents when there is a crew of you to divvy stuff up ... need to be able to make friends though

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Limey Pete,
This forum has been running for a long time, and we have long ago had knock down drag out debates about what "bushcraft" is and isn't. The most elegant and complete description was arrived at by one of our first moderators while he was at the US Woodsmoke Symposium, in conjunction with some "Titans" :camping:of bushcraft

Bushcraft isn't cooking on cast iron any more than bushcraft is cooking in mess tins. The chap who has driven a Land Rover into the country side and set up a static camp for a few days complete with canvas tarps and cast iron cook gear might not be your idea of "bushcraft". However many folk tramping over the Pennines with their mess tins and modern gear do little more than pass green scenery, which doesn't take much in the way of bushcraft skill either. How they choose to spend their time is not a reflection on what they know, or how they might interact with the world along the way...or what they might do the next weekend ;)

In this case, you assumed a scenario that you then felt justified in pouring scorn on, but it wasn't an accurate assumption. It is too easy on the internet to assume that other people are fools and react accordingly. Please try not to make a habit of it.

Best regards

Chris

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

Packing List for the

advanced Bushcrafter:

Rucksack 1500g
Steel frying pan 2125g
Wool blanket 2000g
German Army poncho 900g
Cordage 100g
Wool jacket (as pillow too) 2000g
Spare underwear 1X
Briefs and T-shirt 250g
Woolen spare socks 1X 80g
Swimming briefs 1X 50g
Toilet paper 50g
Wash kit 175g
tooth brush, tooth cream, soap in an aluminium tin, razor, small towel

Food 1500g
in the
Mess Kit 450g
German army version, strapped onto the flap of the rucksack or put into a cotton or linen bag.

Bread bag 200g
containing
Spoon 40g
Candle 40g
Matches 20g
Sewing kit 20g

Rucksack in total weight

11 500 g

ON THE MAN:

Mountain boots
Woolen
Socks
Underwear
Trousers or Shorts
Cotton Handkerchief

Several times folded usable as pot holder and pre filter before water purification by boiling.
Purse
House
keys
Matches
Belt
Knife
Field bottle with mug and belt pouch
T
-shirt
Shirt

Buttoned long sleeved shirt with two pockets and flaps over it.
Neckerchief
Triangular Boy Scout version
Compass
Topographical
map
1:50 000

Who isn't able to carry 12 kg on his back should talk to his Doctor.​

(I admit that my own rucksack weighs just 6 to 7 kg, but that's because I am outstanding lazy. And my doctor unfortunately can't do anything against it.)

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Le Creuset have enamel coating. Not teflon.
Enamel on the outside, teflon on the inside ... on most skillets. Dutchies and saucepans too, though they are mainly enamel inside. Actually, its a proprietary coating not Dupont Teflon, but you get my drift.

Anyway, if you go shopping on the bay, you will see the examples of skillets in particular($20-50) where the coating is damaged and peeling off. These are the ones to aim for. A fierce scrubbing with wet & dry will result in a babysmooth cooking surface. Season not by putting it in the oven but, rather, by putting it on the stove top on a moderate heat with the extractor on and repeatedly painting it with olive oil applied with paper towel. The process will be, should be, smoky. Your eggs will never stick again ... just clean with a dry cloth or papertowel (I know someone that uses newspaper) rather than detergent and remember to occasionally top up the seasoning in the same manner.

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Is skillet same as frying pan?
That was new to me that Le Creuset use teflon. I have a Le Creuset enamel (inside and outside) 5 litre pot.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
That 5L pot is the classic fait-tout :)

But yes, things are advertised often as skillets this side of the Atlantic. It means frying pan, but broadly.

You can refine the definitions of course ... a skillet has outwardly sloping sides, of a medium height. A sauté pan has upright sides. A crepe pan has very low sides, and of course a griddle has no sides at all, etc. Used for the same basic thing though; heating stuff up with just a little, if any, oil or butter, at different temperatures depending on the desired effect.

Next thing for me is one of those cast iron grill pans with the ridges. But, there is a lot of choice in the vintage Le Creuset range, and each model is as desirable as the other .... and the last thing I want to end up with is more than one. :lol: Had problems with that in the past.

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I oven bake on cast iron with a ribbed pattern. Over rated. I have identical pans with plain flat bottoms, equivalent to me (chicken, bison, potatoes, beets and so on). You need a tortilla press and an Imperia pasta machine. That's bushcraft.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Do you mean baking or grilling/broiling, Bri?

Bloody terms get so complex oceanwise. By grilling, I mean heating from underneath - like on the Weber. By broiling (grilling in the UK) I mean heating from above. I find the Le Creuset works more or less like the Weber if you put it on the stove top. I guess you could come up with some kind of lid for it too.

Le Creuset sell a little flat weight to put on top for the perfectly hatched grilled cheese, ham and onion sandwich.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE