Extrema Ratio knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have just acquired a second hand Col Moschin knife by Extrema Ratio and thought I’d share some first impressions.
I’ve always liked the look of ER knives but the price is above my curiosity budget so I’ve never had one to play with. This one came up in another group so I pushed the button and it arrived safe & sound.
It is VERY military to look at in its Kydex sheath with all the Velcro webbing straps to attach to belt and thigh. Very plain, very dark and very functional. The sheath also has a full width drain at the bottom so no chance of retaining any water after a swim. The webbing looks like it will adapt to suit a number of carry positions on body or pack.
The handle is secured with a double press stud & a very secure lock at the top of the Kydex sheath. It is not going to fall out.
The tang pokes out the top of the handle to make a glass breaker/lanyard loop. The handle shape looks a bit odd but it is surprisingly comfortable and secure in different grips, even for my huge hands. The handle can be removed by undoing a single screw for cleaning etc.
The blade looks pretty military too. Black, with the Moschin logo both sides and a false edge almost the full length of the back. Blade is a shallow tanto style which is a pretty versatile format for Bushcraft use as well as its original purpose. It is spectacularly sharp but doesn’t look like it has had much time on a stone so I’m assuming edge retention is pretty good too. Very surprising for such a big knife, it feels light and very manoeuvrable in the hand. I’m guessing this is in part down to the balance being just behind the guards leaving more weight in the handle.
I really like it, although I’m not a military style knife user as a rule and even the rope-cutter serrations on the first couple of inches of the blade don’t put me off.
I honestly like it so much I’m toying with the idea of using it instead of my WS Woodlore Bushcraft knife.
The only downside as far as I can see right now is that it looks proper scary to the average viewer, so it’s only going to see the light of day if I am out on private land. I’m going to put it through its paces over the next few weeks and then do a proper review.
Has anyone else got one of these or any other ER knives? I’d love to know what you think.

FBC1A411-3D0E-4D45-A2CC-ED300B6075CE.jpeg004826AF-4C42-489A-A638-EC0C61F9947A.jpegDAFCCFF0-F4E0-4EC6-B858-B65FD70BD1B6.jpeg93A57A93-264F-4972-82C6-0154D89D2769.jpeg54F7EA4E-7729-4851-B38F-28F28A6A5307.jpeg

Attachments

• C7FC1D87-B6EF-46C7-B9D0-E40B18181234.jpeg
    C7FC1D87-B6EF-46C7-B9D0-E40B18181234.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 19

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
There is a reason it looks "very military", it is a knife designed purely as a fighting knife.
I am aware of that.
However, the reason I like it is because the blade shape is much more versatile than just a fighting knife like say the FS knife, which isn’t really good for much else other than fighting. For instance, why put serrations on a purely fighting knife? Why not sharpen the back edge too?
Potentially it brings a lot more to the party imho. I will find out if that theory is correct and get back to you.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I am aware of that.
However, the reason I like it is because the blade shape is much more versatile than just a fighting knife like say the FS knife, which isn’t really good for much else other than fighting. For instance, why put serrations on a purely fighting knife? Why not sharpen the back edge too?
Potentially it brings a lot more to the party imho. I will find out if that theory is correct and get back to you.
I like the idea of trying different blade designs, well done on trying this.....sometimes you get surprised, as you have.

I must admit, I prefer scandi grinds, but I have been surprised high sabre grinds and love them. Looking forward to hearing more from your experience.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I like the idea of trying different blade designs, well done on trying this.....sometimes you get surprised, as you have.

I must admit, I prefer scandi grinds, but I have been surprised high sabre grinds and love them. Looking forward to hearing more from your experience.
Thanks Graham,
I have a suspicion that this knife was designed with a bit of survival/evasion/Bushcraft in mind. The build quality is superb.
Sure it is black & that tactical sheath is designed for special forces, but it is definitely more than s fighting knife.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts also.
It's more the 6mm spine that puts me off buying ER kit.
I like the term "price above my curiosity budget"
I’ve had more chance to play with it now and strip it down properly for a deep clean as I wanted to try it on food prep. Strips very easily with a flat screwdriver. Shot a couple of bunnies at the weekend & used the ER for prepping them. It’s a bit heavy to be comfortable but the edge is very tough and takes an amazing edge so it’s great for chopping. It goes through meat like it’s smoke. Verdict : it will do the jobs but not ideal as it’s just too big & heavy. Bunnies are a bit small for a fair test really, but I don’t have access to anything larger.
I also used it to split some deadwood for a small fire and make a couple of feather sticks. It’s edge profile is great for splitting and it’s easily sharp enough for a good feather stick although it would be easier without the serrated edge. For this job the weight was a definite advantage and the toughness of the knife and the steel selection are pretty spot on.
I have come to the conclusion that although it has all that tac-black & special forces design going on, this is actually a very capable knife for a range of tasks. It’s definitely not just a fighting knife, although the balance is perfect and the shape is quite aggressive. I like the Kydex carrying system with all its Velcro options for attaching to packs and body.
It’s never going to put my WS bushy out of a job but it is truly bombproof so I can see it going on the canoe bag for emergencies as well as a bit of camp use.
The other thing it has done is make me take another look at ER kitchen prep knives. I’ve ordered a couple so we shall see.
I’m still glad I took a chance on this one. I won’t be carrying it in the woods though: it’s just too scary-looking compared to a nice little bushy knife with a wood handle, a leather sheath and a shiny scandi blade.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
I’ve had more chance to play with it now and strip it down properly for a deep clean as I wanted to try it on food prep. Strips very easily with a flat screwdriver. Shot a couple of bunnies at the weekend & used the ER for prepping them. It’s a bit heavy to be comfortable but the edge is very tough and takes an amazing edge so it’s great for chopping. It goes through meat like it’s smoke. Verdict : it will do the jobs but not ideal as it’s just too big & heavy. Bunnies are a bit small for a fair test really, but I don’t have access to anything larger.
I also used it to split some deadwood for a small fire and make a couple of feather sticks. It’s edge profile is great for splitting and it’s easily sharp enough for a good feather stick although it would be easier without the serrated edge. For this job the weight was a definite advantage and the toughness of the knife and the steel selection are pretty spot on.
I have come to the conclusion that although it has all that tac-black & special forces design going on, this is actually a very capable knife for a range of tasks. It’s definitely not just a fighting knife, although the balance is perfect and the shape is quite aggressive. I like the Kydex carrying system with all its Velcro options for attaching to packs and body.
It’s never going to put my WS bushy out of a job but it is truly bombproof so I can see it going on the canoe bag for emergencies as well as a bit of camp use.
The other thing it has done is make me take another look at ER kitchen prep knives. I’ve ordered a couple so we shall see.
I’m still glad I took a chance on this one. I won’t be carrying it in the woods though: it’s just too scary-looking compared to a nice little bushy knife with a wood handle, a leather sheath and a shiny scandi blade.
Hello Plastic-Ninja , Ive used and / or collected knives on and off since I was around eight years of age (back in the day when a kid could buy small pen knives from your local paper shop) . As an ex combat survival instructor Ive used different hunting / skinner style knives for practical applications . Got to admit from a purely collectors point of view these days I would like to own the Extreme Ratio Col Moschin fighting / combat knife ( cant justify the price though ) . It is in my opinion a definite fighting style knife which if I were still in the forces and were posted to any modern hostile environment it would be the style and quality of knife for self defence purposes I would choose . I suppose there are other makes of similar knives out there like the Cold Steel Recon san mai or carbon models which would serve the same purpose but I prefer the blade aesthetics (more rounded tip) of the ER.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Further to my last reply , It would be interesting to know how the tip of the ER Col Moschin stood up to some fairly rough use ie stabbing through metal oil drums etc ? I watched a couple of youtube videos with the Cold Steel Recon being subjected to this sort of treatment and more and to be fair it held up extremely well and this for a lot less money . People might ask , why or when would you ever use a knife in that way but as I said previous if youre in a military or other hostile environment who knows what problems you may come across . Needless to say that it would be good to know that your knife could stand up to such severe treatment .

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Hello Plastic-Ninja , Ive used and / or collected knives on and off since I was around eight years of age (back in the day when a kid could buy small pen knives from your local paper shop) . As an ex combat survival instructor Ive used different hunting / skinner style knives for practical applications . Got to admit from a purely collectors point of view these days I would like to own the Extreme Ratio Col Moschin fighting / combat knife ( cant justify the price though ) . It is in my opinion a definite fighting style knife which if I were still in the forces and were posted to any modern hostile environment it would be the style and quality of knife for self defence purposes I would choose . I suppose there are other makes of similar knives out there like the Cold Steel Recon san mai or carbon models which would serve the same purpose but I prefer the blade aesthetics (more rounded tip) of the ER.
This one might be for sale. Drop me a DM if you do fancy buying one for a bargain price. If I were going to war I’d keep it but going to the woods I can’t justify the number of knives I own already.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE