A really weird tip for sharpening scissors that worked for me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My fabric scissors are good quality vintage ones but they wouldn't cut properly anymore. I'd tried whetstones, adjusting the screw and honing with my Spyderco Sharpmaker but despite slicing through paper or multiple layers of fabric with ease, cutting a single layer of fine cotton just wasn't happening - it just ended up sandwiched between the blades.

In desperation, I read a tip that said to try cutting though a screwdriver. I was already browsing for new ones so thought I had little to lose. I was astonished to find that they now cut beautifully. It realigns the edges so they slice against each other better, similar to how a steel can straighten a carving knife

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That puts a rolled-over burr on the edge of the blade to compensate for the crappy bevel sharpening. The burrs cut against each other to make you believe you have a sharp edge. Not.
Measure the bevel angle. Paint the bevel with black marker so you can follow what you are doing. Work in a very bright (LED) light so that it is easy to see what you are doing.
Pull strokes, maybe 1200 grit or 1500 grit if you're good at freehand. I am and it took a lot of practice to become proficient. Last, hone with CrOx/AlOx on some sort of a very hard strop to keep the bevel angle from rounding off.

Best if luck, it's only a twiddle of steel. Buggered up, you might as well fool with it to get a true edge.

Right now, I'm learning to dismantle the heads on electric razors and freehand sharpen the cutters. My poor old face will be the test of success.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fiskars sell a wee gadget that I've been using to sharpen my sewing scissors (from emboidery to hairdressing to cutting out) for over thirty years.

I'm told that folding up tinfoil and cutting that works too though.

I don't know about the tinfoil, but I do know about the Fiskars gadget. It has a round 'stone' bar in it and one simply cuts through the slots over it.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
I second Robson Valley's assertion and method of sharpening as it is much the same as what I do, though I use a fine grit stone, no idea what grit, but it's fine and it does the job. Doesn't take much, but might take a lot more after burring an edge onto the blades.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well I bought some scissor tuners but they're too small for my larger fabric shears. Spent ages trying to get them to cut all the way along the blade but despite taking them apart and flattening them on a whetstone, plus using marker pen and a diamond file, only the first half would cut. Tried the screwdriver trick again, cut many ribbons of sandpaper but to no avail. Eventually gave them a tiny twist in a vice and they now cut all the way to the tip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE