Best one Pot meals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I usually end up causing myself issues because I am overly creative in my head when out and about and want to cook something, so, I was thinking that i will endeavour to make more one pot meals, stuff that's easy to make and tasty.

So, what are your favourite one pot meals? and if you can lets have some recipes and directions, if you've got pics all the better!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
1.) Water into the pot.
2.) Boil it.
3.) Noodles into the pot.
4.) Knorr sauce into the pot.
5.) Stir it.
6.) Heat it and wait a bit.
7.) Eat it with your spoon.

Reactions: Condex

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Reactions: crosslandkelly

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I assume you could do it also with rice, Tony. But it looks too complicated to me, and if you don't cook over wood fire it also could need too much fuel.

I think, noodles are the best if you are forced to cook. Bread and cheese are the better option of course, because you don't get stress with the washing up. But you can't carry that so long around.

Do they sell HARIBO in Britain?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I assume you could do it also with rice, Tony. But it looks too complicated to me, and if you don't cook over wood fire it also could need too much fuel.

I think, noodles are the best if you are forced to cook. Bread and cheese are the better option of course, because you don't get stress with the washing up. But you can't carry that so long around.

Do they sell HARIBO in Britain?

Erbswurst! Bread cheese noodles and HARIBO, are not cooking!
We do proper meals here. Not just pick and nibble. Thats laziness!
As for being "forced to cook" its like saying you are forced to sleep. Of course everybody cooks... dont they? How the heck else do you eat?
Ah bread and cheese and sweets! Perfect one pot/plate meal. Who does your washing up? Must be so much effort :)
Sorry my dear, sometimes you are so funny.:) :)I have to smile and wonder if you are taking the ****

A nice easy meal in one pot is a risotto. I like a simple pea and mint one with some pecorino cheese grated finely into it. Or a mushroom one. Delicious!

• Haha
Reactions: Erbswurst

bearbait

For one person: Half a onion, chopped at whim and browned. Tin of mackerel fillet (in brine I prefer) and a spoonful or two of one of Pataks curry pastes and a small amount of water. Heat through, adding a little more water if necessary. Then EITHER a tablespoon of thick yoghurt OR a few scrapings from a coconut block to taste. Nice stir, and more warm through if it was yoghurt added. All served with half a keema nan that has been warmed over the fire after being sprinkled with a little water. All washed down with a glass or two of mildly fermented fruit juice. Just to get rid of the taste, you understand?

Variations include a little chopped dates or figs. Poppadoms as a side salad. You get the idea...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Is a boiling kettle a second pot?

If not, I do a number of tagine and curry style meals in the Dutch oven that taste just as good as the ones I cook in the kitchen. I then use either quick cook couscous for the tagines (just add boiling water and wait) or pre-cooked rice for the curries (just add boiling water then strain).

If I'm away for just the weekend I'll usually chop and prepare the ingredients at home for two night's meals, but I always mix fresh spices and make the sauces at camp - none of this 'sauce in a packet or can' stuff :)

There are, of course, the classic one-pot recipes such as corn-beef hash (the saucepan version rather than the oven version), sausage hot-pot, paella, moussaka .... the list goes on.

Eating good food around a campfire is one of life's joys. If you don't enjoy cooking though @Erbswurst, there's little point in arguing with you. There are times. I agree, when a quick meal is needed but, what I think Tony is after, is camp food for the pleasure of eating :)

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It is different camping or trekking. When on a walk my fairly standard meal is very dull, precooked rice or noodles or macaroni warmed up and when hot I empty a tuna or meat can into it that cools it just enough so it can be immediately eaten. While eating the last of the spirits in Trangia burner is boiling water for the tea or coffee. Enough for two and for three if they are not too hungry. I some times carry spices but that depends, if fishing at least then.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Stock cube, water, whatever meat and veg is available, turmeric, cumin, black pepper. Things that need a lot of cooking go in the pot first and so on until the spices go in last. That's my basic recipe. Just gotta adjust the stock cube quantity or add more veg and water if you're using preserved meat because it may be too salty.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Gin Gan Goo ( aka. English Rarebit )

Beer, cheese and mustard in pot. melt and stir together. Dip your bread in it and eat.

Quantities and types of beer, cheese and mustard all according to preference.

Mmm.. a Welsh Rarebit is made with a roux sauce first - do you really just make it with beer and cheese?

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Sausage stew - fry off your sausages (Cumberland or lincs) and onion (or leek, spring onion, anything like that) then add chopped root veggies (potato, sweet potato, carrot etc) cabbage also works well, as does green pepper. Add water and stock, and seasoning, I like to add a mild or medium curry powder too, you don't need loads. Then add some kind of peas, beans, lentils, these add a great texture. Stew the whole lot down for as long as you dare, it should be fairly stodgy when ready. Goes down well with a bit of bannock or dumplings.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Sausage stew - fry off your sausages (Cumberland or lincs) and onion (or leek, spring onion, anything like that) then add chopped root veggies (potato, sweet potato, carrot etc) cabbage also works well, as does green pepper. Add water and stock, and seasoning, I like to add a mild or medium curry powder too, you don't need loads. Then add some kind of peas, beans, lentils, these add a great texture. Stew the whole lot down for as long as you dare, it should be fairly stodgy when ready. Goes down well with a bit of bannock or dumplings.
Sounds similar to DH’s ”Airborne Stew” :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE