Recommend a wind breaker.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Hi peeps,

So after walking the dog on a blustery day round the fishing lakes, it has occurred to me that a wind breaker would be a good idea. Something like the old skool kool parasilk tops, but more modern styled.

An hour (yeah.... a whole hour....) on Google shows up some lovely tops, if you dont mind parting with a quick £100..... Helikon-tex do one for half that, but its too military looking for me.....

Can anyone recommend a wind breaker/shirt/jacket that has a hood, a full length zip and won't make me hyperventilate when I see the price! . Second hand is always a good option so don't neglect those options either! Chur!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Madriverrob

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Have a look at the cycling jackets, they're nice and light and pack small enough to fit in the kidney pockets. They're unlikely to have hoods so a skull cap may be the solution, the jackets don't cost the earth either.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Hi peeps,

So after walking the dog on a blustery day round the fishing lakes, it has occurred to me that a wind breaker would be a good idea. Something like the old skool kool parasilk tops, but more modern styled.

An hour (yeah.... a whole hour....) on Google shows up some lovely tops, if you dont mind parting with a quick £100..... Helikon-tex do one for half that, but its too military looking for me.....

Can anyone recommend a wind breaker/shirt/jacket that has a hood, a full length zip and won't make me hyperventilate when I see the price! . Second hand is always a good option so don't neglect those options either! Chur!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I have a Helikon tex on in shadow grey …. great piece of kit and to be fair the grey isn't to military .

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Full length zipper, so no smocks.

I recently got a Helikon Blizzard Jacket and am liking it quite a lot, even at this time of year. It does look a little military. I am sorely tempted to remove the velcro arm patches, but it still has the arm pockets, but they do double as mesh backed vents.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I have two of these - one in coyote and one in green.
Had them 3 or 4 years and still going strong.
What I like are the lack of a front zip (so the wind can't come through), zips on all pockets, and also the front kanga pouch where you can put essentials - like a pack of Haribo.
Not water proof though, but can handle a light shower.
I'm sure you can find them on Amazon or shop around and find them a few quid cheaper.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Decathlon should have a decent range of cycling, running or just general outdoors jackets, at about £30 or less. And a number of them have hoods.

I use an old insulated (and fairly wind resistant) jacket from them when i am walking the dog, which can be layered under a Barbour when its raining or the wind is really strong.

As long as its practical, able to vent (thats the problem with cagoules- its all or nothing), wind proof or close, and not too heavy, thats fine. And have pockets for all the stuff you need when walking the dog - in my case a torch, poo bags, some gloves, and snacks to get my Labrador back if he gets too distracted.

And always worth looking at Ebay - might do well. All my Barbours came off Ebay

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Not seen that Helikon Woodsman shirt before. I can see myself using that. Sadly, they are rarer than hen's teeth. Seems like only one UK place selling them, and they have sold out of Medium.

Not really a jacket that you could layer under though. More like something you would put over a t-shirt to give protection and carrying capacity.

Reactions: Erbswurst

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk

OK, this might be a bit over-budget but it is a very useful and effective top. It cuts the wind and is functionally water resistant - not -proof; it packs down pretty small, is light in weight and has some genuinely useful pockets. Just a thought.
I have one of these. The hood is very comfortable and quiet. In the winter and cooler months it’s an excellent windproof bit too warm in the summer. The pockets are very spacious and the quality is good. It doesn’t pack down that small and is a tad heavy to carry. You can pair it with the Paramo fleece and it supposedly then works as more of a waterproof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE