Finnish hermits and other films from Finland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Hey Martti

The link does not work here.
Can You give me the search words to find it on youtube?
Tak!

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Does it come without the Russian voice over, just with English subtitles?

The DVD have the original Finnish audio with or without the English subtitles. Like any Finnish DVD, they also have Swedish subtitles.

Can You give me the search words to find it on youtube?

You can watch a few minute long pieces of the mini-series behind this link.

17-2055054f02c2a054f1.jpg

17-2053754f026f9747a8.jpg

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Not working in the Caribbean either. Despite an IP thingy that makes the Swedish TV companies think I am in Sweden.
Seems it is coded for Suomen only?

I got a still picture that seemed correct, plus a text in Finnish, guess it said "not for you tea drinking pesky foreigners"?

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
What time epoch is it?

"Rauta-aika" is a loose interpretation of the Finnish and Karelian epic poetry Kalevala that combines various elements passed down from the Iron Age and the Middle Ages.

Youtube link?? Would Be so nice

The only thing one can find from YouTube is this behind-the-scenes clip from the official Finnish Defence Forces channel:

[video=youtube;ztFv5k1u0DE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztFv5k1u0DE[/video]

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have read Kalevala. Quite interesting, but a bit too long. Just like Homers texts it would need a better editor...:)
Most countries in Europe have similar texts written during the 1800' during the struggles for a national identity and freedom.
I do not know the state of the Finnish language at that time, but I guess it was supressed by both the Swedes and the Russians, just like the Czech and Moravian languages were by the Austrians?

Those authors did a huge favour for later generations.

Most of the authors took local legends and mixed a bit of Greeko/Roman mythology,

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Most countries in Europe have similar texts written during the 1800' during the struggles for a national identity and freedom.

While Kalevala as a work of art was edited and published by Lönnrot between 1835 and 1849, Finnish epic poetry in trochaic tetrameter was first written down in 1564.

I do not know the state of the Finnish language at that time, but I guess it was supressed by both the Swedes and the Russians, just like the Czech and Moravian languages were by the Austrians?

Finnish didn't become the official language alongside Swedish and Russia in Grand Duchy of Finland until 1863.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
While Kalevala as a work of art was edited and published by Lönnrot between 1835 and 1849, Finnish epic poetry in trochaic tetrameter was first written down in 1564.

Finnish didn't become the official language alongside Swedish and Russia in Grand Duchy of Finland until 1863.

I can imagine they had the same difficulties in creating the "proper" Finnish language and grammar as the Czechs.
Only peasants, maids and farm workers spoke Czech, educated people spoke German. The Czech language was word poor until they started rejuvenating it in the mid to late 1800' or thereabouts.

The Father of Schooling was a Czech, Jan Amoš Komensky. Invented basically the schoolbook in the own language ( nstead of Latin).
Unfortunately during his life the Czech language got demoted to a third rate language due to the Hapsburgs taking power there.

It is a good way to force a people to its knees, removing their language and national identity.

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Flying over one of the most remote part of Finland near the border with Russia.

Last edited:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks for that last one. I've watched the log cabin one loads of times, now I actually know what they were talking about!

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Free Finnish feature length "bushcrafty" films and series with English subtitles.

- Noidan kirot | "The Curses of the Witch" (1929).
- Vihreä kulta | "Green Gold" (1939).
- White Reindeer ("Valkoinen Peura", 1952).
- Unknown Soldier ("Tuntematon Sotilas", 1955).
- Talvisota | Winter War (1989).

You can nowadays buy a DVD copy of epic Finnish 1982 mini-series The Iron Age (Rauta-aika) for around 10 from Finnish online stores. The 5.5 hour mini-series comes with English subtitles.

The Iron Age (Rauta-aika) television series is now freely available online with English subtitles:
- Part I
- Part II
- Part III
- Part IV

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE