Where to get a original crusader Mk2 cook set?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Does anyone on here know where I can buy a original UK Army Crusader Mk2 cook set?
It seems that I can't find the complete set, bottle, plastic cup, metal cup, cooker and pouch.

Thanks in advance.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I always thought the pouch was part of the soldiers webbing system and issued as part of it as opposed to being part of the cooking system if that makes sense.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
I wonder if the pouch issued with the cooking set is a genuine (or as sturdy as the issued pouches as well?) since seeing that the one with the cook set has a label mentioning "a proud product from" or something like that, and it seems that its molle (or whichever) system they use, has a few flaws.
but I already saw that you can order this system in every possible configuration, even with a stainless Mk2 kookpot, I wonder if I was better off ordering one without the pouch, and just order a issued (Advise me here please which model pouch?) one?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'm unsure I'm afraid. I don't know if the MK2 fits into the current issue water bottle pouch or not. I don't even know if the MK2 is issued to the military. Looking at the comments about the taste in another thread I can only think of staying away from it. I use a titanium canteen system I knocked together for the occasional brew using some dragon fuel blocks.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
That taste can have a lot of causes, even the smoke of the fuel you use,whiffing over the things you heat up, happened once to me, made me ill.
If there were still residue's of production methodes, it should be sufficient to clean it as you do with your houshold cutlery and dishes, and maybe once making a "brew" with baking soda, leave that boiling for a few minutes and then clean as regular.
after that it should be good to go, I think.

Why I am asking for the "original" version here? Because recently I bought another canteen which was advertised as original, and that thing had for sure the original price, but was as flimsy as a sandwich bag, but since we are so far from any reasonable town with a army shop, I need to order by internet, and then I can't touch or see for myself, and to sent it back was way more expensive as the canteen. therefore I like to ask for experiences and then take the original stuff, to be sure it's solid.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Note that the 'cooking set' was never issued - the only element issued to the general army is the mk1 crusader mug. I've used both the mk1 and mk 2 mugs for many years - mk1 for strength (it will go one for years and years) Mk 2 for lightness and a slight capacity increase (and its still pretty strong). The burners that come with the 'set' are not that great in my view - I've only used the Mk2 burner, but it doesn't work with the fire dragon gel tablets really - just a raging inferno that burns itself out in a minute or so.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hexi was a killer. I use a wee 'sake' titanium cup with a titanium windshield and a dragon fuel tab. Gets a quick brew if I'm out for a bimble. I swear I used to get physically sick when using Hexi, always outside.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Hexi was a killer. I use a wee 'sake' titanium cup with a titanium windshield and a dragon fuel tab. Gets a quick brew if I'm out for a bimble. I swear I used to get physically sick when using Hexi, always outside.
same thing here, for the Hexi. Always when we were at manouvres.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Crusader mug wise my mk2 still leaves an after taste to any drink unlike the mk1 and the handles seem to heat up quicker and can burn your fingers. Where I have never had a problem with the mk1 ever in 25 years only had the mk2 mug for a year or so.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Note:
They sell a bail for the MK1.

Doesn't the MK 2 have a different bottle in lower quality? Isn't that an aluminium mug in the MK 2 which is qualified to burn ones lips?

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If you go for the mk2 kit, there's no way your getting it in an issue pouch. It's far too big to fit all of it plus spare meal, spoon, puritabs, lighter etc..

Basically useless, the original version is the way to go.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
If you go for the mk2 kit, there's no way your getting it in an issue pouch. It's far too big to fit all of it plus spare meal, spoon, puritabs, lighter etc..

Basically useless, the original version is the way to go.
That's a bit harsh in my opinion - the original has a lot going for it, but so does the Mk2. I use both in equal amounts, just for slightly different applications. The Mk 2 is bigger, lighter, a shape that i find better to fit boil in the bag meals in, and seems to boil slightly quicker. The Mk 1 is heavier duty, a bit easier to clean out, and i enjoy its battered weathered look! Since leaving the army I don't carry things around in webbing pouches anymore so squeezing things into a pouch doesn't matter to me at least.

Reactions: Bert

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE