Colder weather van camping options?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
We use a synthetic domestic duvet instead of sleeping bags and have usually been warm enough when ice forms on the windows as we benefit from shared bodily warmth. However, we always travel with down sleeping bags in our rucksacks for use on side trips. We would be able to supplement the duvet if need arose.
As mentioned by someone already, I made thermal foil covers for the windows and have been known to sleep with the pop up down when very cold.

As for heaters running all night, I have entertained murderous thoughts when parked up near people ruining my sleep with climatisation units.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's more about the sleeping bag tbh. Insulation isn't the best money can buy but it's still good.

We've since been playing around more with the diesel heater. It starts off loud but it's surprisingly quiet so if really cold perhaps that's going to be switched on. I think the controller has a timer on it. Once we've learnt to use it properly I reckon automatic turn on about 4 or 5 in the morning might be one option.

However we really think about a better sleeping bag and we've got a mattress topper out of memory foam for upstairs. It's likely to be snugpak synthetic bags. They're available very cheaply for even warm bags.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Don't forget a carbon monoxide alarm and also a smoke alarm if you have a heater running for even a short time in a van. You don't want to go to sleep and not wake up. Put them above the top bunks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE