Is it worth getting the inner for a Helsport Varanger 4-6?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

relin

Sep 29, 2010
Chesham
Hey all,

Ive recently become the owner of a new ish Helsport Varanger 4-6 with groundsheet, alas the promised inner was missing when i purchased it (they reduced the price accordingly). Im planning on putting this up for the winter months (we have some land out the back of our house) and probably sleeping in it a night a week. I already have a frontier stove that i used to use with a now defunct belltent.

For anyone that has one do you think its worth buying the inner? Will it really make that much difference to heat retention and overall cosyness? Is condensation a big problem?

Cheers!

Andy

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I used to own one, really regret moving it on, anyway, depends on a few things, if your going to be the only one in there, as I was then I would sometimes just use a tarp under my sleeping area, if the ground is wet and muddy then a full floor is nice and if your going to use a stove then obviously you'll have to manage the floor area for the stove, so a few variables, and yes, condensation can be a thing if your not well vented as in any single skin tent. As for is it worth getting an inner, I had one but rarely used it, personal choice again.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
With the outer all the way to the ground, an inner won't be blocking drafts, really just creating a little resistance for warmer air inside and to stop drips landing on you, or you touching the outer. Liners don't stop condensation, they just intercept and conceal.

As full a ground cloth as you can manage will help with condensation. If you are on grass, the plants actively pull moisture from the ground and expel it through the leaves. Other ground, if you warm up inside you will tend to dry the ground and that moisture has to go somewhere. A ground cloth stops some from going into the air.

relin

Sep 29, 2010
Chesham
Thanks peeps, i already have the floor and have bought some clips to fully peg out the skirt, i will be sleeping on a carp bedchair with a fronteir stove going. I guess i will try it for a few nights without the inner and see how i get on before taking the plunge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE