So you want to live on a Homestead?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you both. We've been doing thus full time for more than a decade now and get asked a huge amount of questions by people who really, really want a different life. There's seems to be a combination of;

Not knowing where to start
Money worries
Fear of failure

We really want to make this series to demystify the subject & encourage others to experience the contentment that we enjoy.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For those who enjoyed the first episode, tonight's focuses on;

Three lifestyle choices to live a country life
How much land do I need for a smallholding?
What type if outbuildings you will need

We hope its enjoyable

Hugh

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Worth a watch from my block of flats replete with the obligatory anti-social neighbour I guess. I can but dream. Right now my blessed plot is getting flooded, well it is a flood plain after all.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
One of our future videos will be on money, location & services. We know people who have bought a place with a couple of acres for £5k, others farming on peppercorn rents from land bodies or crofts. Its never easy but there are ways to do it - but with some life altering choices!

Reactions: Minotaur

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Lack of the readies is my problem. There is a 6,1/2 acre field for sale locally and its £75,5000!
A small private allotment sold for £9,000. I know the seller, and know they bought it ten years ago for £750. It's gone crazy round here price wise.
Since lockdown in march house prices have shot up 7%

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its the law of supply & demand now in the UK. There are more people on the island than ever in history, more than it can support, so more people chase what land there is. Oddly land rental can still be affordable for small parcels and homestead size parcels are much cheaper in other countries. Let's face it, history is full of people moving abroad for land!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The issue of affording a "place in the country" has been raised by many people. In tonight's video we look at different ways to start smallholding and show how it can be surprisingly affordable

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My YouTube guilty pleasure is US verisions of this so will caught up on these.
Your House looks like the original river cottage.
Thank you. We aren't certain as to its age. Its documented in the 1700s but an expert looking at the (hand made) bricks believed it to be a good 100 years earlier than that. People weren't so hot on documenting Fen cottages then!

ShapiFamily

Jan 27, 2022
Luapula
For those who dream of living on a smallholding or homestead, we've started a new YouTube series on how to stop dreaming about the Good Life - and start living it.

This is lovely. My name is Chi. Me and my husband decided to close up our business in the city and move to the countryside and try sustainability living off the grid, in Luapula, Zambia. Homesteading is not something very popular in our country, so it was quite a gamble.

Last edited by a moderator:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is lovely. My name is Chi. Me and my husband decided to close up our business in the city and move to the countryside and try sustainability living off the grid, in Luapula, Zambia. Homesteading is not something very popular in our country, so it was quite a gamble.
I bet! Would love to hear more about your experience

Reactions: ShapiFamily

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE