Corn Bread Recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone have some Corn Bread Recipes? I'm a bit of a fan.

Maybe with some nice things included.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like mine with cheese and syboes and peppers.

I can't eat gluten with impunity so cornbread's become something of a familiar thing.
I don't use eggs in mine either and it works out fine.

I'm told (veggie household, we don't eat pig) that fried and chopped bacon is good in it though if one does eat meat.

Easiest way I know to make it is to fry up the chopped veggies in a small frying pan, and when they're soft pour, the batter in. Then turn down the heat and put a lid on the pan.
Free the edges with a soft spatula and flip it over half way through. Cook until golden brown both sides.

M

p.s. translation Scots to English. Syboes are like fine spring onions.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I like mine with cheese and syboes and peppers.

I can't eat gluten with impunity so cornbread's become something of a familiar thing.
I don't use eggs in mine either and it works out fine.

I'm told (veggie household, we don't eat pig) that fried and chopped bacon is good in it though if one does eat meat.

Easiest way I know to make it is to fry up the chopped veggies in a small frying pan, and when they're soft pour, the batter in. Then turn down the heat and put a lid on the pan.
Free the edges with a soft spatula and flip it over half way through. Cook until golden brown both sides.

M

p.s. translation Scots to English. Syboes are like fine spring onions.

Sounds amazing....

So what is the ratio of base ingredients please?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ehm.....I'm a by guess and that looks about right kind of cook with this.

Two or three syboes, and half a red pepper (green loses its colour) chopped and fried up in either butter or decent oil. I've been using the Scottish rapeseed stuff recently and it's very good. Doesn't have the tang of the olive or the background taste of the peanut.

Half a cup of gluten free self raising flour
Half a cup of fine golden corn meal
Level teaspoonful of baking powder.
Good pinch of salt or use a teaspoonful of Marigold stock powder.
I tablespoonsful of nutritional yeast flakes (not necessary, but it's extra B vitamins for vegetarians, and it adds to the cheesey taste)
Several good twists of the pepper grinder.
Whisk that lot together.
Then stir in half a cup of coarsely grated cheddar.
Add
Two sort of overflowing tablespoonsful of natural yoghurt, and a little fizzy water at a time, and whisk to make a batter like the one for pancakes, but not thin like that for crepes.

That's pretty much it.

It works well if you chilli it up too, or curry it, and it will do to make a kind of pizza base as well if you change the herbs and add tomato puree.

Good the next day, if there's any left over....rarely happens....and is good to pack for a sandwich on a walk.

Gluten free flour won't hold a lift, so this one isn't going to turn out two or three inches thick. Mine's usually about a bit over an inch.

M

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ehm.....I'm a by guess and that looks about right kind of cook with this.

Two or three syboes, and half a red pepper (green loses its colour) chopped and fried up in either butter or decent oil. I've been using the Scottish rapeseed stuff recently and it's very good. Doesn't have the tang of the olive or the background taste of the peanut.

Half a cup of gluten free self raising flour
Half a cup of fine golden corn meal
Level teaspoonful of baking powder.
Good pinch of salt or use a teaspoonful of Marigold stock powder.
I tablespoonsful of nutritional yeast flakes (not necessary, but it's extra B vitamins for vegetarians, and it adds to the cheesey taste)
Several good twists of the pepper grinder.
Whisk that lot together.
Then stir in half a cup of coarsely grated cheddar.
Add
Two sort of overflowing tablespoonsful of natural yoghurt and a little fizzy water at a time and whisk to make a batter like the one for pancakes, but not thin like that for crepes.

That's pretty much it.

It works well if you chilli it up too, or curry it, and it will do to make a kind of pizza base as well if you change the herbs and add tomato puree.

Good the next day, if there's any left over....rarely happens....and is good to pack for a sandwich on a walk.

Gluten free flour won't hold a lift, so this one isn't going to turn out two or three inches thick. Mine's usually about a bit over an inch.

M

Thanks Toddy , I will give it a go.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brussel sprouts are best just finely shredded and eaten raw. They're a happy green thing then, not a ....yeah, you know what I mean.

They're okay if split in half and laid cut side down on an oiled roasting tray and baked hot and fast. Italian GF of Son1 does them like that and adds chestnuts.

I like them raw with a shake of salt and a drizzle of sweet and sour sauce :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll imagine you do this in your kitchen. Corn/Maize in all it's forms is of new world origin.
1. Use the recipe in the online Tabasco cook book. Too much Tabasco sauce for me.
2. Iowa recipe from my family: Preheat oven to 400F.

1C all purpose flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
1C yellow cornmeal
1/2 tspsalt
> mix dry

1/2C Mazola corn oil
1 C milk
2 eggs
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
> mix wet
>>add and mix wet and dry
> Load a 9" bacon fat-greased skillet and bake approx 25 minutes.

3. Jamaica Caribbean
1C all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
> mix
1C corn meal
4 tbs sugar (I use brown sugar)
> mix and add to dry and mix
2 eggs beaten
1C milk
1/4C softened butter
>mix and add to dry and mix
In a cast iron skillet, bake 350F 25-30 mins.
= = = =
I prefer #2, it's a mod from an old tabasco cook book that my mother had.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
My go to recipe for Cornbread is a slight cheat as I like mine to A. Last longer and B. Be a bit less crumbly so I can use it to mop up sauces and gravy.
Its easy as anything and a rare case of a compromise being a success.
Ingredients.
1 cup strong bread flour. (White is good, spelt is even better!)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup caster sugar
1tsp salt
3 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/3 cup melted butter
1 large whole egg
1 cup of full fat milk ( buttermilk is even better.)
Grease a 9" cake tin really thoroughly & preheat the oven to 200C
Mix together the flour, meal, sugar, salt & baking powder. Using a balloon whisk mixes it thoroughly & quickly.
Make a well in the centre and add the egg and the milk, then whisk in the melted butter and combine all the ingredients to make a thick porridge-like batter. Pour it into the cake tin and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean.

We have messed with the recipe a lot over the years and these are the favourite variations.
50g finely grated Parmesan
1 tsp crushed dried chillies and one or two finely chopped red chillies.
75g sautéed diced chorizo.
75g fried bacon lardons. Use the pan fat with the milk & butter.
75g golden raisins.
75g bacon pieces, fried then soaked in maple syrup before folding into the batter.
It's a great cake, great for toasting for breakfast, makes a lovely crouton when slightly charred on both sides , a supreme mopper-up of sauces and a great way to lessen the heat of a savage chilli con carne! Plus it only takes a few minutes to make. Winning.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
A regular breakfast item for me, probably 2 to 3 times a week. Equal parts self raising flour (could be gluten free) and corn meal. Bit of bicarb. Finally sliced olives. oregano and black pepper. Mixed with water to a (I believe the term is) dropping consistency. Pan fried in bacon fat, other oils works, but I find solid white fat gives a nicer crispy layer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE