Kent pattern small forest axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lacijag1

Forager
I bought an old W. Gilpin kent pattern head and made a handle to it.

The head was in a pretty good shape, i only had to use a sharpening puck and a strop to make it razor sharp again. It has a very low angled edge, ideal for cutting.

The handle is made from ash, i bought a piece of planned doard from online and from that i cut out the rough shape than finished the final cuts with a spoke shave and a file.

This one too has palm swell scales, i quiet like them from a different wood, i think it looks good.

Over all i am happy with the result, this small forest axe is pretty handy at coppicing and hedge laying, did some felling with it too.
Here are the pictures on my instagram page:

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
Hi there. Hoping you’re well.
I have just bought an old axe, with what appears to be a Kent Felling Axe head shape, but the size is a lot closer to a hatchet than a felling axe. I am going to re-handle this myself, (am trying to source some nice hickory currently).
Unfortunately the link to your instagram page showing your axe doesn’t seem to work? Any chance of sharing a photo or two?
Many thanks.
Briar ✌️

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
Ah yes, you’re absolutely right. It’s not a Kent pattern axe, but it is apparently the shape (although smaller version of) a Kent Felling axe.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The only axe of that shape I have seen described as a Kent Felling axe is the one dredged up from the Thames.

A little bit of discussion here:

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
That’s all interesting. Thank you. I just recognised the axe head shape in a google search, and saw that someone had called it a Kent Felling Axe, (not a Kent Pattern) and then found a few other examples of people calling that shape the same name, just through google searches.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a nice little kent pattern combination axe, kent pattern blade with a hammer poll on the other side.

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
The only axe of that shape I have seen described as a Kent Felling axe is the one dredged up from the Thames.

A little bit of discussion here:

Attachments

• 037417A1-6A27-4C7A-B56B-B13446ECD1E4.jpeg
    037417A1-6A27-4C7A-B56B-B13446ECD1E4.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 8

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
The axe head third from the left on the top
row looks like a larger version of mine, and is called a Kent Felling, not to be confused with a Kent Pattern.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE