Blades under 50mm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thinking of building a skinny knife with 40mm blade for light whittling, gutting and light utility (I.e. cutting line) It's going to be a partial tang with an undersized handle so it's nice and light in profile, I'll be using 1.5mm x 10mm O1 tool steel stock.

This got me thinking, do people have any small knives like this? Whittlers/sloyds etc? Would be awesome for people to throw up examples for inspiration

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I bought this little necker from Ben Orford 7 years ago. It's great little blade, maybe 30mm long, keeps a wicked edge and very handy for all those little tasks you describe. Sadly I can't see it on his website anymore

1008448_10151520508128152_34433102_o.jpg

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
So I'm going to try and make a friction folder instead of a partial tang to make it uber pocket friendly and not need a sheath. I've bought some brass binding screws that look exactly like the ones on the sword peasants. I've make a couple of rough ones before so I'm looking forward to this!

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I just an hour ago received a pocket fixed blade from Gene Ingram. Astonishingly lovely thing in A2 with a 62mm blade and loosely based on the Fallkniven U2 ... I'll have to get a pic taken before I use it, I think

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My wood carving knives are little slivers of steel. Various sweeps.
Most all of them are designs you expect from Pacific Northwest First Nations carvers.
The handles are sized to fit me, that cannot be compromised for comfort and safety.
I have a few of these. Typical design ideas.
https://www.jamie-sharp.com/
http://www.kestreltool.com/

It is easily possible to revise a worn-down farrier's hoof-trimming knife for a lifetime of wood carving success.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I made this one from a retired victorinox folding penknife and a piece of Yew.

Ooh yeh. I like that. My current main knife is very similar, chunky yew handle but about a 70mm blade.

This new one will be a much skinnier profile, like very pocket friendly. I had a little go at mocking up the blade in cardboard and I've settled on a 40mm cutting edge

Reactions: ScottE

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have long been a fan of the Roselli Bearclaw and the Grandmother. The Bearclaw is the UHC one, the Grandmother not - but a lot more affordable. Neither are as slivery as the Mora, though.

There's also the things that Svante Jarv has been making for so long. Which might fit the bill

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I sware I am a knife magpie....anyway, I bought this in elmax steel today....this will be my rotation neck knife, with the few others I have

Cannot wait to see it....
adbe95a44a7ee865b1a9403188af990e.jpg
ffe3c58c1dcc817a7203c2d1b60301f0.jpg
df657b9e0b9a9aa852df01779f0190aa.jpg

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I asked Gene Ingram to make it and he did. Careful, it is an addicting pastime. I have five of them now. Started in 2007 with a sodbuster, then a 4"-blade hunter, then a couple of 3"-bladed ones, then this tiddler. I think I am done, at least I'd have a hard time justifying the 3 1/2" blade knife I'd still like. Though that sense has not proved to be a good predictor of eventual action, I have found.

He is a very nice man. Works in D2, S30V and A2, and I suspect that is it; but all other materials are negotiable

Here is his page of example knives w/prices - he has other patterns; you just need to search a bit on the internet. http://geneingramknives.com/example-knives/

Reactions: gra_farmer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE