Medieval 'scrip' bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ganstey

Settler
Just been watching Time Team and they had a medieval reenactor who showed off his 'scrip' bag. I'm not sure of the spelling, or even whether I heard it correctly. It was a simple satchel-like shoulder bag made of soft leather. He was supposed to be a pilgrim if that helps.

Does anyone have any more info on these as it looked like quite a nice little project. Google isn't helping me much.

Cheers

ganstey

Settler
Thanks Ness, there's a lot of links there :yikes: I've looked at a few of the links and they all appear to be elaborate designs, or references to original paintings etc.

The one they showed was a very simple affair, much like I imagine your average yokel or poacher would have used to keep his bread and cheese, or ill-gotten gains in.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The simplest scrip is one long piece of leather folded .....think of it in fifths.
Fold at the two fifths mark and that's the bottom, fold at the fourfifths mark and that leaves the one fifth for the flap.
Sew up two side seams. Attach strap to the seams.
Heavier weight and more roomy ones can be made by sewing the strap in along both back and front edges to create narrow sides......not quite so waterproof though.

Eric Methven makes these, hopefully he'll see this thread. I'm pretty sure Wayland has them too.

cheers,
M

ganstey

Settler
Thanks Mary, I think I can picture what you're saying. Because of the way my brain works I could do with some pictures if anyone has any.

I'm waiting for an order from Le Prevo, and have some basic projects in mind to get me started. Then I might have a go at making one.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
isnt that a delightfuly simple and effective deign?

I keep on meaning to restore my mothers scool satchel, but am busy on other things

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Some were, some weren't. These pouches lie flat against the body, not bobbing about like a handbag. They continue in use right through until last century as despatch riders bags, and the so called 'bread bags' of assorted militaries. Redcoats wore two, one for kit and one for charges and balls and musket cleaning stuffs. (eventually it becomes the cartridge bag of the shotgun folks)
The gusset actually adds a fair bit of extra room but then the bag becomes bulkier, and it's trickier to sew and repair.
How much extra? think of a sharing size crisp packet, that's the plain shape, and then think about how much more you'd get in a cereal box.

cheers,
M

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Scrips pop up in the Cadfael novels of Ellis Peters, and she was known for knowing her medieval onions.

They aren't ever clearly described but extrapolation would suggest the flat pattern. Pretty much everyone, it would seem had one either with a shoulder strap or belt-attached - no pockets I suppose!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Scrips, habensack, haversacks, whatever you want to call them are a doddle to make and so handy, I've done one for myself and one for the middle son out of linen

hav1.jpg

Adjustable staps are a definate good idea as is making sure the attachement points for the strap go through either more than one side (on the one above I sewed through front, back and the flap) or at least through a small square of material on the inside.

TedsHaversack.jpg

Thin leather is what I'd make the next one from, mainly as it is so much easier to waterproof effectively and you don''t have to mess about with hems!

Just don't try to carry too much in them, obvious I know but you start doing it and it ends up as a inferior back pack hanging in the wrong place...

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I love it when I'm searching the interwebs for something and the most helpful posts crop up from this forum :) Almost 10 years ago to the day as well.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE