Want to ID a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GST138

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2007
North Yorks
As a kid (as i am sure many here did) I got survival weaponary and techniques magazine.

I remember a survival knife but not the name. It was a skeltonised blade and the sheath was plastic the knife cut out parts sat on the sheath securing it.

Does anyone else remember this, i have tried a number of google searches but can't find it. A picture would be even better.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As a kid (as i am sure many here did) I got survival weaponary and techniques magazine.

I remember a survival knife but not the name. It was a skeltonised blade and the sheath was plastic the knife cut out parts sat on the sheath securing it.

Does anyone else remember this, i have tried a number of google searches but can't find it. A picture would be even better.

I remember that. Brain needs to work now....

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Sounds hideous, and best forgotten ;). I might remember something like that, but there were so many hideous knives under the banner of "survival" that the memories all sort of blur together!

Can you remember any other details, like colour, size, overall shape, point style, did it have a saw back, what kind of guard did it have?

umbracanis

Aug 8, 2012
Dublin
I remember this one but not the one you describe.
knives-stingray-dive-knife-uc247.jpg

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
This one?

tekna-wilderness by https://www.flickr.com/photos/163167411@N07/, on Flickr

tekna-edge-tek-1980s-survival-knife-new-and_1_30bb0c74f1f42ec6fe721dab93f974f9 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/163167411@N07/, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm trying to think of the other main brands around at the time - I don't think it was either Gerber or Sog.

I know Buckmaster was around , and part of me wants to say " Webster "???

The sheath was black plastic with an open face that the Knife would directly sit into the raised areas of indented raised platforms. - Making it all sit flushly together.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
This one?

tekna-wilderness by https://www.flickr.com/photos/163167411@N07/, on Flickr

tekna-edge-tek-1980s-survival-knife-new-and_1_30bb0c74f1f42ec6fe721dab93f974f9 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/163167411@N07/, on Flickr

Well done You !!!!!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What other Great boys own survival knives were around then? I remember one with a metal hand guard and elaborate sheath - Can't remember its name.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Totally not what my brain had me remembering....as Chris said though they do blur into each other after all this time

One I had was a classic of the time.
Rambo style saw back, folding catapult on the scabbard and the two combined to make wire cutters.
Tang was about an inch long and roll pinned to the plastic handle but I'd be damned if I could break it. Chopping trees down hours of throwing practice the thing would not die lol

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Totally not what my brain had me remembering....as Chris said though they do blur into each other after all this time

One I had was a classic of the time.
Rambo style saw back, folding catapult on the scabbard and the two combined to make wire cutters.
Tang was about an inch long and roll pinned to the plastic handle but I'd be damned if I could break it. Chopping trees down hours of throwing practice the thing would not die lol

Was that the Aitor Jungle King?

Attachments

• AK16015.jpg
    AK16015.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 17

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Was that the Aitor Jungle King?

See the little skinner in that handle ? It's the best bit of the whole thing.
It's actually a really useful wee knife, and surprisingly not a sore hand to use either.
Keeps a pretty good edge when used on deerskin and tendons.
M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
See the little skinner in that handle ? It's the best bit of the whole thing.
It's actually a really useful wee knife, and surprisingly not a sore hand to use either.
Keeps a pretty good edge when used on deerskin and tendons.
M

Oddly , I've always wanted to track one down as I had imagined it would be a useful little keeper.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
/
I'm trying to think of the other main brands around at the time - I don't think it was either Gerber or Sog.

I know Buckmaster was around , and part of me wants to say " Webster "???

The sheath was black plastic with an open face that the Knife would directly sit into the raised areas of indented raised platforms. - Making it all sit flushly together.

Annoyingly I remember the exact knife, and would have guessed SOG or Gerber. In my mind it was dagger shaped and had probably 3 moulded mounds to hold the blade into a simple plastic dive type sheath.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE