The ray mears beanie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
An alternative to the Mears and Varusteleka offerings are the Buffy hats which you can get from Ben Orford's website. I've got a couple - they are wonderful and not too hot for all uses in the U.K. - and this from a very reluctant hat wearer!

Thanks for the heads-up on the Orford's site - some nice hats on there.

David

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Well, this looks like I should get one to add to the pile. Thanks .. I think :)
It is thin but surprisingly effectiv at keeping my ears warm. Plus the neck and throat. And because it´s wool it doesn´t feel wet even though it is from sweat, underneath the hat.
Most of the time I wear it like this:
3772358f60fb934235.jpg

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I took to wearing a buff/neck gaiter kind of thing a few years ago ... I don't much like a hood over a ski helmet, and somedays it rains as much as it snows, with a large portion of that airborne slush heading down the neck. There isn't much worse than getting stuck on a chairlift with a drip aimed unerringly at the gap between your neck and your jacket. So, something wool and tubular is a win. Something that will slide neatly under a helmet; more win. Joined together, you say? Goooooaaaallllll!!!!!

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Just had a British army wool head over delivered from endicotts. Super long tube, really warm. First impressions are great, £4 too

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've had a mears, mine also shrank in the wash, also my own fault. I've used the varusteleka ones for a couple of years and like them very much. I got one of their alpaca ones last winter but didn't have many occasions to use it but it seems really nice. I dug it out as I was going through my autumn/winter kit now the weather's changing.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Tested the mears beanie. Works great, super warm, comfortable enough to sleep in the hammock with and wear for long periods. Just didn't get any wet weather to test it in! I have however been called a fan boy a few times for wearing it already!

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Wow turns out the ray mears beanie is very good value for money.

Yes, you are right. I am looking high and low for a flat cap just now ... which is trickier to figure out online than you might think ... anyway the Mears beanies are £35 at Farlows.

People taking wannabee pops usually got their own problems with confidence and authenticity, I've found. (There's some flat cap wisdom, for you :))

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Yes, you are right. I am looking high and low for a flat cap just now ... which is trickier to figure out online than you might think ... anyway the Mears beanies are £35 at Farlows.

People taking wannabee pops usually got their own problems with confidence and authenticity, I've found. (There's some flat cap wisdom, for you :))

Wow £35? Seems a bit extortionate?

Haha too true, in all fairness is was all in the name of banter and I played the part for it :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE