lighter / trench lighter/ windproof lighter ideas and suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKAndyB

Jun 30, 2018
Flintshire. North Wales
Hi,
Thinking of getting myself a windproof / trench type lighter. Something I could obviously use when out hammocking, but also something I could let our scouts use (I'm a scout leader) when we are doing a fires/firelighting evening or on camp.
I'm trying to put together a nice variety of ways of firelighting for the scouts (bow drill, flint and steel, ferro rods, chemicals etc) to try.
Anybody purchased anything lately they find 'interesting' or useful (I have looked at a few on Amazon, but the cheap ones seem to get poor reviews?
Thanks
Andy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Imco lighters are cheap and reliable.

Pricy, but the Douglass S Field Lighter is superb. Waterproof, spare flint holder in the tiny sealed top up fuel tank in the base, all in all masterfully engineered and O ring sealed throughout. Lots of YouTube reviews to see it working.

2E2175DA-C300-429E-B639-30D98F13A56A.jpeg

Three of my 4. The middle one with the capped wheel and wick is a faff to use but holds fuel almost as well as the bigger S version and is much cheaper.

DEA3E97A-75C4-408B-9BED-531F418B9CCC.jpeg

Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
If you fancy a bit of a retro look, then you can get turbo flame inserts for Zippos.
I had a lovely brass Zippo, nicely patina'd from years of use, and I got one of the turbo flame inserts for it.
Now I have a lovely looking lighter with nice strong flame.
Here you go:

Reactions: The Frightful

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
What about the everlasting matches? they're great for starting feather sticks and are a bit more resilient to the wind. Just be careful when refilling them, I set alight to the washing up water a couple of years ago.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
i got fed up giving my 'expensive' (£1 or £2) to scouts and never getting them back when on camp so i got a pack of 50 disposable lighters for £5.
now i don't have a problem handing out a 10p lighter!
not pretty but functional and i can carry several for the weight of something like a zippo for instance

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If you fancy a bit of a retro look, then you can get turbo flame inserts for Zippos.
I had a lovely brass Zippo, nicely patina'd from years of use, and I got one of the turbo flame inserts for it.
Now I have a lovely looking lighter with nice strong flame.
Here you go:

I like that and would order one straight away .... but, I can't find my brass Zippo :(

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Imco lighters are cheap and reliable.

Pricy, but the Douglass S Field Lighter is superb. Waterproof, spare flint holder in the tiny sealed top up fuel tank in the base, all in all masterfully engineered and O ring sealed throughout. Lots of YouTube reviews to see it working.

View attachment 62105

Three of my 4. The middle one with the capped wheel and wick is a faff to use but holds fuel almost as well as the bigger S version and is much cheaper.

View attachment 62106

Where can I buy these?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Best prices are from Japan on eBay for the Douglass lighters. Shipping is pretty quick too. If you want U.K. I think MikesKnives stocks them, but you’ll pay a little more.

If you order, get some flints too. They’re a bit chunkier than normal flints.

Reactions: TeeDee

UKAndyB

Jun 30, 2018
Flintshire. North Wales
Turboflame arrived and I must say it's great quality. Think I'll still look for a 'trench' lighter / windproof one similar to that which Nice65 recommended. Think it would be interesting for the scouts to see and try out. I'll just wait until next pay day to save 'the boss' having a moan (but obviously keep looking in case any come up cheap).
Thanks for recommendations, and I'll update and feedback if anything happens.
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE