Tarred twine / bankline

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
A few weeks back out in the woods I found about 20 feet of this stuff, and kept it in my pack as a bit of spare cordage. I used it on a recent trip to lash a tripod together, I was really impressed with the grip this stuff has, feels strong too.

So I've been scouring the net for it expecting it to be on the bay or similar. Really struggling to find a uk stockist of the right stuff. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I picked up a roll of this stuff, absolutely cracking, super strong and nice and grippy for prussicks.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
It's used a lot in the maritime industry, and have heard you can pick it up in merchants in/near working ports; although not sure if that's any help to you.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thanks for the replies folks. Deffo after the tarred stuff, even though it rubs off on your hands!

Looks like it'll be Amazon or Heinnie then. I'll check tamarack to as they are my most local bushy store.

Cheers for the link Dave, there's some great bits on there, just no sign of any tarred cordage unfortunately.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The common source here is a Ship's Chandler where many sizes of tarred nylon cord
are sold for commercial ocean fish net repairs. Very little of the tar comes off on gloves and hands.
I use it for the whipping to haft crooked knife and adze blades for wood carving tools.
From Pacific Net & Twine, a 1 lb spool of #18 is a bit less that 1,000 feet. Maybe $16.00?
Sniff around any seaport in the UK for a source.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
They do tarred sisal in various twists, almost at the bottom of the page Dave linked to

Can't believe I missed that! Thanks. Does anyone know if the tarred sisal is strong? The nylon stuff seemed pretty strong for the diameter/weight. Would prefer to buy natural fibre if strong enough though

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Can't believe I missed that! Thanks. Does anyone know if the tarred sisal is strong? The nylon stuff seemed pretty strong for the diameter/weight. Would prefer to buy natural fibre if strong enough though

I've never been able to break ordinary 3 twist sisal with my bare hands so more than likely it'll be plenty strong for whatever you intend doing with it

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I know you said you wanted the tarred stuff but I'll float this just in case :)

Have you tried the waxed nylon thread/cord you can buy for leathercraft. You can get it up to about 2mm I think and it is very strong. It has that same 'stiff' feel that the tarred thread has but is much cleaner.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you buy genuine tarred nylon seine twine, the #18 size that I buy has been mechanically brushed to ensure penetration and then dried in a gas-fired oven. No, it isn't dirty at all.
Ever so slightly sticky, perfect on adze and crooked knife handles.
Breaking strength is about 450 lbs. Based on using 1+ 1,000' spools of it, I'll guess that it stretches maybe 5%.
I can buy yellow, white and pink #18 in the local hardware store, labelled as "surveyor's cord." Very useful.
I add it to my adzes where hand placement markings are needed, not decoration as it might appear.
AdzesB.JPG

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thanks for all the replies guys :) I need to get busy and order some now don't I! RV, I'm loving those Adze (plural?). I've not had the pleasure of using an Adze yet.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The blue one is a Stubai 7/75. Next to useless rough-out tool. Never buy one.

The birch-handled (mine) ones have Kestrel Tool blades*. Love the D adze, it can shave like a plane.
Popular Pacific Northwest First Nations wood carving tools.
I load a piece of copper water pipe as a bobbin to feed the line through the handle.

The tarred line is my #1 go-to covering for handles and blade mountings.
I've just bought 2 more spools. Have the intention of wrapping some handles on pruning tools.
Just a little too slippery with gloves on (have to squeeze too much with my old hands.)

I see some very good blade smiths in this parish. Adze blades ought to be stock in trade.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
This is what I got:

I rate it very highly, get more cord per volume than with paracord and strong enough for any task I can think of. Other than climbing. Holds knots well, particularly good for the tautline or midshipman's hitch which I find slips on a lot of other cordage.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
So I've ordered some tarred jute from a guy called mad dog bushcraft, £4 posted. We'll see how that goes. I would have gone with the tarred sisal, but without causing offence I wouldn't pay £6.50 postage for a small light item costing £4. I'd like to keep to a natural product if possible so we'll see how this does. Might even twist it into a stronger rope if it's a little weak.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So I've ordered some tarred jute from a guy called mad dog bushcraft, £4 posted. We'll see how that goes. I would have gone with the tarred sisal, but without causing offence I wouldn't pay £6.50 postage for a small light item costing £4. I'd like to keep to a natural product if possible so we'll see how this does. Might even twist it into a stronger rope if it's a little weak.
What is it like, and where did you buy it again. Wanted to try some too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE