£300 plus knife ? ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
You post an offended message with qualms about trolling when previously posting the below

Worthy of the oscar for best offhand performance ! Trolling is reference to a technique that fishermen use to catch their spoils, it usually refers to a comment that is completley out of keeping with sanity, facts, or the course of discussion. It is designed to stir up strife and net the Troller attention thus giving them a position of power so they can feel validated, so tell me punk, do ya ?
Oh Christ you again? Not the same thing my man. A swing and a miss I'm afraid, and yet again, off topic. I think we've fairly done this to death now and you're so unwilling to learn from valid experience that I'm quite happy to let you go on believing whatever you want.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Oh Christ you again? Not the same thing my man. A swing and a miss I'm afraid, and yet again, off topic. I think we've fairly done this to death now and you're so unwilling to learn from valid experience that I'm quite happy to let you go on believing whatever you want.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Oh golly effe efft fthhfthh rhubarb rhubarb hmmppp hmffthh whshhs whsshh !

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It is always a shame when an interesting thread gets hijacked by off-topic, vituperative comments.

In an endeavour to get back to the original idea posited, I have spent £300+ on a knife and yes, I baton with it. My thinking is that you can spend what you like - and what you can afford - on a cutting tool and how you choose to utilise it is, again, up to you. There will be some who wish to preserve their new purchase in a mint state and those who wish to put them to good use. I would argue two points: first, it doesn't really matter how much or how little you spend on a knife - that really is a matter of personal choice, for which no-one should be criticised. However, the vast majority of bushcraft knives I have either seen or owned seem to cry out to be used, in all the various ways that we do, including batoning. If you are aiming to spend a lightweight night in the woods and do not wish to carry an axe, then you will probably find yourself using your £10 Mora or £300+ whatever to split some wood for your fire. Although the knife may not necessarily be designed to do that, it can. So, why not use it for some of the coarser, more brutal purposes? If it's a well-made tool, it'll be equal to any normal bushcrafty task you choose to throw at it.

At the end of the day, a knife is a tool and a tool, by its very nature, needs to be used.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And a very good point! But pointing is rude (so my Mam told me) - so have a blunt instead... but a blunt £300 knife is more useless than a sharp wit!
So hone your wits as well as your knives.

Reactions: TLM and 0000

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
Im another one thats 'been around the block' a few times as far as knives are concerned.
It has been a fascination and a hobby as well as finding the perfect tool for me. Even to the point of making my own customs out of F1 blanks.
I could never afford to collect though and only afford to keep what I use. As much as id like a drawer full of fancy steel i cant afford the dead money just sat there.

After all is said and done and if your other kit is sorted or budgeted for just go for the
Best tool you can afford to buy, and afford to use, and afford to replace if you somehow kill it.

After many laps im back with my trusty Bark River fox River in a simple CPM154 good allround steel in a good all round blade shape. Not cheap but not mega expensive. Good pedigree and a good warranty. I stick to one knife so i get a good feel for it and handling it becomes quite natural and more importantly, predictable if you maintain it properly

As for the batoning thing.
Its a technique thats there to be used if needed. I dont see what all the fuss is about.
If for whatever reason i dont have an axe or my Skrama to hand and i need to split some wood down then i find it far more efficient to knock my knife in with a stick than maybe use the force or trained woodworm. :)

Last edited:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Paul Kirtley has just done a video about this. He is about to start using a knife which must be worth over £300.
I am in the cannot afford it place so would not use one because it would be a precous item if I did own it. I like Mora's and am in the process of making my own handles so if it breaks it breaks.

Reactions: richos36

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE