Paracord damage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Hi all. I've got some 550 paracord - can't remember where I got it from. I tied a truckers hitch setting up a ridgeline a while back, and found that the action of tightening it 'crinkled' the sheath. It sort of bunched it up a bit from where it lies over the core strands. Any one else had this problem? Or do I have some poor quality paracord?
Cheers everyone.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Paracord is designed to be sewn on not knotting. All various samples I have seen have the mantle sliding, its a nuisance that can be partly countered by melting the ends, that often just leads to the mantle bunching though. I have used paracord as laces to my huaraches for years and mantle sliding is always there.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Interesting. I've gone off the stuff to be honest. I bought some tarred bankline off the interweb instead. It's mentioned in a lot of the YouTube channels, and seems very good too.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think originally paracord got famous because of the survival aspect, it was available in chutes for jumped airmen. The core strands can be used separately which sometimes is useful. Otherwise it is no better or worse than any other line of similar strength.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think paracord is popular in bushcraft circles, because used in pilot survival trainings.

But for a hiker lines from a boat shop or mountain equipment shop are the better option.

I use Edelrid 2,5 mm Multicord SP in orange colour. It's relatively cheap, very light but very strong. It's made in Germany and you can feel it if making knots.
Edelrid usually makes climbing ropes, but other equipment too.

The 3 mm version of this cordage is black.

If one tried it and knows what's needed, one finds similar cordage in every good yacht shop for similar prices. I use such cordage too because I like to see immediatly from the colour which length of cordage is that.

That the stuff is offered usually in bright colours isn't a fault, because the strength we usually need is thin like gras. If it's bright coloured it's well visible in gras.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think originally paracord got famous because of the survival aspect, it was available in chutes for jumped airmen. The core strands can be used separately which sometimes is useful. Otherwise it is no better or worse than any other line of similar strength.

Also it’s used for lanyards and is available in hundreds of colours. My tent and tarp guys are either blaze orange or have a reflective strip in the weave. And it’s cheap.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think there is a lot of cheapo "poundland" quality paracord out there. Dyneema is the way to go for utility cordage.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I'm going to have to get some dyneema and give it a go.

On the other hand I had a couple of nights out this weekend in dire conditions, which put my tarp rigging skills to the test. I tried out tarred bankline for the first time and can recommend it. It holds knots brilliantly. I've found midshipman's hitches (similar to tautline hitches) often slip in normal guy line cord (not sure what the stuff is called). But they held perfectly in the tarred bankline. Minimal stretch and light weight too. Great stuff.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
#18 tarred nylon cord is what's used here for the construction and repair of ocean Pacific salmon nets.
The knot strength and reliability are impressive.
I use it for the whipping to attach steel blades to the wooden handles of carving tools.

Suffolkcrafter is correct. Everybody needs a spool of it.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Dyneema is the way to go for utility cordage.
While it is pretty good stuff it does have a few drawbacks: it has a very large negative coefficient of thermal expansion, so it tightens when warmer. It does not take heat very well, no problem at normal atmospheric temps fortunately. It has very low friction so knots should be tested before using them on any load bearing application.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
On an irrelevant side note, in testing the bank line, I had a 3 by 3 DD tarp erected as an A frame tent awning over the weekend, with the apex at around head height. Winds were strong enough to fell a nearby oak tree and I didn't expect the tarp to last the night, but it did. No tears, no damage -another good bit of kit.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I think it sounds like you have cheap paracord as there is a big difference between the cheap stuff and the real stuff.
I have sort of gone off paracord as well. When I started reading this I would not have typed that. I use paracord as a handy hank re-useable cord and for permanent solutions. I think it works for that because it is cheap and strong however I want the yellow guyline cord for guylines and I am replacing paracord with cheap stuff I do not care if it gets damaged and natural stuff which nicer to work with.
That said I am sort of stuck in a half way house of having man-made materials and natural materials. I like working with natural materials and for certain tasks you can just forget about jute string because it will rot.
My hiking kit has paracord, cheap man made cord and jute string.
I have looked at dynema and every time thought it just not worth the price. The same for bank line to be honest. I can buy 3 rolls of jute for next to nothing, stick it on a credit card piece of plastic and not care about what happens to it. The same for my Aldi cheap cord.
I think you have to think what you want the cord for?
I am really leaning towards going natural for what I make and carry mainly because I cannot think what I need to have that is stronger than 8mm hemp/jute rope. The only use that they would not work for is climbing which requires a climbing rope anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE