Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ReasonSharp

Jul 29, 2015
Croatia
@C_Claycomb, awesome, thanks. I suppose I've never considered it because the woods I've mostly traveled in were tame and I picked nights with plenty of moonlight. If I ever go to places likely to have bears, lions, or other large wild animals, I'll be sure to procure one of those.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Or leaning on JonathanD’s older tale in this thread, take a stash of pistachios with you. The odds against there being TWO pistachio eating serial killers in the area are astronomical !!!

Reactions: MrEd and JonathanD

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There is a variety of apex predators here. Makes solo camping a tactical mistake, whether you prefer a tent or a hammock.
The smaller ones, the Lynx and Bobcats, are no issue. Bunch of little Mustelids ( Martens and Fishers), count yourself very fortunate to even see one. The Black bears, grizzly bears, cougars, wolves and coyotes need to be considered.

Lots and lots of lovely flat (and level) grassy camping spots all over up the logging roads. Many are well up into the high grazing leases. My greatest fear in a tent is getting stomped on by stupid cattle in the night.

Some places, our parks in particular, have fenced camp sites that do cut the "wildlife interactions."
The whole idea of camping in the UK with nothing intending to chew on me is a delightful ambition.

Reactions: Vapor.Ryder

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Or leaning on JonathanD’s older tale in this thread, take a stash of pistachios with you. The odds against there being TWO pistachio eating serial killers in the area are astronomical !!!
If some Bayesian probability is applied the result is slightly different. :)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A scared human can do surprising things, we do after all descend from brachiating apes. ;)

In certain parts of the country here it is not difficult to find pines where on can set up a hammock.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In the UK, I'd be planning for the worst of wet, cold and windy. Can't imagine that much else is an issue.
Out of the weather with hot food, how pleasant.

Watching them, you would be convinced that bears do a cost/benefit analysis before an attack.
The only two exceptions are when you get between the sow and her cubs. You die. No discussion, day or night.
The other is to stumble upon a kill site. The prey animals will be partially covered in veg that the bear scrapes up.
You need to run at least a quarter mile.
Bears can catch galloping horses. They can cruise at 30 mph.
We get fools on mountain bikes believing that they can out-race a bear on a logging road.

Trying to find and climb any tree on a dark and cold, moonless night in October with a bear at your heels
just isn't in the cards for me. 12 ga s/s shotgun with SSG is a better deterrent. Rather not bother at all.

Reactions: MrEd

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
I suspect the natural fear of the dark is because our most dominant sense - sight is largely useless, forcing us to rely on senses we might in our day to day life consider secondary, when in reality, they're just as useful in the right contexts. In addition I further suspect another fear of the dark is the result of conditioning that has taught us anything dark and yes this does have some bearing on the BLM issue is something to be avoided or feared.

But how to counter the fear of the dark, do so by way of practice ; take to going out at night where there is no artificial light, to perhaps sit and let your senses explore where I got over my fear of the dark by playing a game, a game of which I in my mind tried to identify what my senses picked up; ah an owl, barn owl I think and something creeping around in the bush, not human, it's too careful where if one was to focus on something in the bush, focus your hearing on that one things and in your mind's eye picture what it's up to create story. But if you go where artificial light isn't and you don't wreck your night vision with artificial light of your own, where it can take up to twenty minutes for that night vision to fully return, you will soon discover how much light there actually is in the dark, to perhaps go out hiking in it or at least walking

Work to recognise and undo the conditioning and you may soon find the dark is in fact a welcoming place.

Reactions: MrEd

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I do like to walk at night on my own. I can happily walk about on a moonless night with just a stick and no vision at all. I know the paths very well in daylight. They are a lot more fun at night!
A full moon makes things visible and is like daylight on a clear night.
I'm not happy in town at night.. even my tiny town. I prefer the woods and fields any time... day or night!

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Towns make me wary in the day, never mind at night.

Out camping doesnt bother me much, not usually in popular spots or near other people.
Wild animal noises can spook you, but not too bad once you learn what they are.

One thing i dont do, since i started camping, is watch horror movies. Imagination is the biggest enemy, so i try not to fuel it.Dog soldiers terrified me when i was young. :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Out camping doesnt bother me much, not usually in popular spots or near other people.

One thing i dont do, since i started camping, is watch horror movies. Imagination is the biggest enemy, so i try not to fuel it.Dog soldiers terrified me when i was young. :)

Yep, especially up in Scotland :)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I went solo camping last night for the first time. I went to a place I know and have been a few times with friends. Got there early to set up and collect wood and it was great. Although at around 1am 2 people walked past with a torch but that was the only thing that scared me (was fine once they walked past)

will be doing it again without doubt!
I spend most of my time alone in the woods..Makes you wonder what these weirdo’ are actually doing walking around at night

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk

agreed I feel far more on edge wandering round a town at 1am than I would do the woods.

I love being out in the dark, I used to get a bit of trepidation but that’s has waned over the years.
You just have to go slower and focus on sound and the feel of the ground under your feet so you don’t trip up. I find it cocooning and feel safe in the dark now, it’s a totally different experience at night.
Besides in the UK, bar another human being, we are generally the most dangerous creature in the woods anyway.

Reactions: BradGad

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I've read page 1 and this page... excuse me, I'm 11 years late to this party...

I love how the movie Dog Soldiers was mentioned on first page and on this page! It's rated 15 in the UK, I first watched that movie when I was 14, I was home alone and borderline **** myself as the night drew in...

Overall I've watched it a few times now, last year was probably the last time. In order to un-haunt myself from the whole thing, I tell myself that if anything happens and I'm done for then my last words have to be the same as Spoons: "I hope I give you the sh**s you f*****g wimp". :D

Reactions: MrEd and Robbi

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I've read page 1 and this page... excuse me, I'm 11 years late to this party...

I love how the movie Dog Soldiers was mentioned on first page and on this page! It's rated 15 in the UK, I first watched that movie when I was 14, I was home alone and borderline **** myself as the night drew in...

Overall I've watched it a few times now, last year was probably the last time. In order to un-haunt myself from the whole thing, I tell myself that if anything happens and I'm done for then my last words have to be the same as Spoons: "I hope I give you the sh**s you f*****g wimp". :D
I think that was the first film I saw where an actor dropped the C-bomb, was more shocked at that than the gore tbh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE