Kent Pattern Axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Birch Axe

Apr 28, 2018
The Woods
I have a number of 'wedge' type axes which I use for splitting and for roughing out carving blanks but am looking for a tool with a thinner profile.

I see that old Kent Pattern axes are quite popular for carving and come up quite often at boot fairs but was wondering if there are any particular makers to look out for? Not really my area so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have a number of Kent Pattern axes and have never paid much for them - my biggest (4.5Lbs) I paid a fiver for; most of the others less than three pounds.
My largest one (No 5) is a J Harrison and Sons from Sheffield; the smallest (No 1) is a Cornelius Whitehouse and Sons from Cannock and I also have Gilpins (Chip Chop) axes ranging in size. All are turn of the 19th century and all those makes from that period are excellent.

IMG_8074 - 2 - 512 - 25.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Lovely axes, how are they for edge retention?

I'm am even more interested in picking one up if they cost as little as that!

As long as nobody's ruined them by burning out a handle the steel is very good and holds a very nice edge; even then they can be re-treated. The steel in these old makes is excellent. Even the Harrison can shave a curl if I haven't been splitting too many logs since last dressing. Mine have come from car boot fairs as well as antiques fairs.

Reactions: Birch Axe

Birch Axe

Apr 28, 2018
The Woods
As long as nobody's ruined them by burning out a handle the steel is very good and holds a very nice edge; even then they can be re-treated. The steel in these old makes is excellent. Even the Harrison can shave a curl if I haven't been splitting too many logs since last dressing. Mine have come from car boot fairs as well as antiques fairs.

Hopefully going down to a boot fair tomorrow morning so with any luck there might be a decent example among the usual rubbish.

Thanks for the help.:)

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I'm new here and just getting into Bush Craft. I recently won a couple of axe heads from the auction site (chance opening bid) that I plan to restore and use. They both appear to be `Kent' style axes and I was wondering what their suitable uses are or what they were intended for.

I do a fair bit of tree felling and log chopping for firewood. I'm not sure of the weights of the heads and they won't arrive until next week, but they look like they could be useful for limbing/kindling, but I was wondering if felling would be an option if they're large enough. I see carving and hewing seem to be popular for this style of axe.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As you can see from the post above I have a fair few Kent pattern axes. I've not come across one big enough for serious felling (the 7 lb kind of mark) but my largest one is capable of some serious work and holds a very good edge.

They come in all weights and I have small ones as camp axes and larger ones I use for log splitting. I've also re-profiled one as a carving axe.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I find they make good carvers once you get the grind right. Personally I don't think they are brilliant for splitting, being a bit on the thin side.
Apart from the photos in the above posts, I've only ever seen them with shorter "hatchet" type handles up to about 18".

Dave

Reactions: CrazedFandango

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I find they make good carvers once you get the grind right. Personally I don't think they are brilliant for splitting, being a bit on the thin side.
Apart from the photos in the above posts, I've only ever seen them with shorter "hatchet" type handles up to about 18".

Dave

They vary a lot in their thickness depending on the manufacturer TBH. The old catalogues show them in a wide variety of weights and handle lengths as well. However, like most axes, there were far more made for lighter duties than the big boys.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Is it true those pattern axes have the harder cutting edge welded on?

As it occurs to me in trying to locate one, and I have been looking given how common they are, if the tool is well used and there well sharpened over it's lifetime, that welded 'edge' might be a tadge thin, if it's still there at all.

And it was my intent should I find one to also reprofile it to make it somewhat as a bearded axe as I like when choking the thing to keep my fingers guarded.

But that particular style, I understand may be a particularly British style as opposed to a Kent style as there is style named after the city I am close to, a Plymouth Style axe

b200716f887350d1844e90af0e32a4f2.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Is it true those pattern axes have the harder cutting edge welded on?

As it occurs to me in trying to locate one, and I have been looking given how common they are, if the tool is well used and there well sharpened over it's lifetime, that welded 'edge' might be a tadge thin, if it's still there at all.

And it was my intent should I find one to also reprofile it to make it somewhat as a bearded axe as I like when choking the thing to keep my fingers guarded.

But that particular style, I understand may be a particularly British style as opposed to a Kent style as there is style named after the city I am close to, a Plymouth Style axe

No, certainly not all Kent pattern axes have welded edges; in fact none of my collection do. I have axes that are late 1800's and they still sharpen up very well.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
They vary a lot in their thickness depending on the manufacturer TBH. The old catalogues show them in a wide variety of weights and handle lengths as well. However, like most axes, there were far more made for lighter duties than the big boys.
I think both of mine are Elwell. I'll check when I next escape to the shed. Both were found in my Father's shed, in need of new helves.

Reactions: Orhdposs

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Our coal axe (which was at one point my great grandad's on my Mum's side) was a Kent. I don't know if we still have it though, not having used coal since some time in the mid-80s

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Further to my earlier post, I've had a look in the shed, one is a 1 1/2 lb Elwell, the other is a 2 1/2 lb Harrison. The little Elwell has taken a far nicer edge, but to be far I've been working at that for a lot longer.

Dave

Reactions: Broch
I take it that it's not seen much active use?

I've put a fairly large handle on my 3lb head. I'll give it a go at trimming some limbs of a recently felled tree later to see how it holds up. Being lighter than my felling axes, it should at least allow for longer usage.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I use both of mine as carvers. I read somewhere that the GB carver's axe design was based on the shape of well-used Kent patterns, so thought I'd give them a go. The 2 1/2 pounder certainly removes stock quickly, with little effort.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE