Getting fitter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just signed up for 2000 burpees in November for Bone Cancer Research.

If anyone wants to sponsor me drop me a PM for a linky.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm still climbing out of the hole. Standing up to stretch pain free and a flight of stairs and I feel pretty damn good.
Makes me cheerful every day without end. Covid has changed nothing for me so far.

I went grocery shopping by myself again the other day.
Got home with 3 bags and up the stairs before I really had to sit for a short time ( 'short' is a new word).
I get a back ache now. Just have to stop for a few minutes. Not a pain in the bottom, just a lower back ache.
BUT
I can feel the stopping is less and less every week.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Todays workout:

Bench press ladder:

30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80kg for 20, 20, 15, 10, 6, 5 reps

Back squat ladder:

Same weight and reps as bench press.

Wobble board balancing for 10min followed by:

5 rounds for time;

10 press ups on wobble board
10 mountain climbers on wobble board
10 air squats on wobble board.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ed the Ted

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A lot is relative to who's doing it.

In my climbing days I used to finish an indoor session with as many fingertip pullups as I could manage. Usually 50 to 100 in one go. I was about 3 stone lighter and technically clinically underweight but strength to weight meant that was no big deal. Now I'm not as strong and a lot heavier I have added about a third of my weight from back then.

I think it's great the burpees activity and I'm not trying to do the effort down because I think it's a very positive thing. I am simply replying that goals and ability is different. It's possible those burpees would take more or less commitment by others due to fitness, strength, etc. That doesn't matter though when the effort is for charity. Those events need to be a challenge but not a challenge that people can't do or not many will take part. It's still a commitment for charity whether easy or hard for you.

Sorry, it sounds like I'm being less than positive. I'm not very empathetic to others at times without realising it. Inappropriate is what I do but I mean no negativity or harm. If offence is made i didn't mean it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
A lot is relative to who's doing it.

In my climbing days I used to finish an indoor session with as many fingertip pullups as I could manage. Usually 50 to 100 in one go. I was about 3 stone lighter and technically clinically underweight but strength to weight meant that was no big deal. Now I'm not as strong and a lot heavier I have added about a third of my weight from back then.

I think it's great the burpees activity and I'm not trying to do the effort down because I think it's a very positive thing. I am simply replying that goals and ability is different. It's possible those burpees would take more or less commitment by others due to fitness, strength, etc. That doesn't matter though when the effort is for charity. Those events need to be a challenge but not a challenge that people can't do or not many will take part. It's still a commitment for charity whether easy or hard for you.

Sorry, it sounds like I'm being less than positive. I'm not very empathetic to others at times without realising it. Inappropriate is what I do but I mean no negativity or harm. If offence is made i didn't mean it.

Yes I can imagine you're more empathetic in person... Its far easier to be come across as another way via the Internet....

I didn't even mean that the Burpees are a big deal either, I mean ( and I'll have to highlight it for clarity )

"
Just signed up for 2000 burpees in November for Bone Cancer Research.

If anyone wants to sponsor me drop me a PM for a linky.
"

But hey , I'm constantly surprised by how people react or don't react to certain things in life.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Burpees are a right b@st@rd,hateful exercise because it exercises a lot of big muscle groups. The 'navy seal' is an even nastier variant. Good luck with it. I'm back at work so humping my 9kg rucksack the 2.3mile to work and back in 35-40mins. Sweaty at the end!

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Burpees are a right b@st@rd,hateful exercise because it exercises a lot of big muscle groups. The 'navy seal' is an even nastier variant. Good luck with it. I'm back at work so humping my 9kg rucksack the 2.3mile to work and back in 35-40mins. Sweaty at the end!

Agree - The inclusion of the mountain climbers into it certainly add something extra.

Also seen variants by Incarcerated prisoners where there is a double fist punch to the stomach and a weird touch the head , shoulders , knees and toes thing for what I can only think is mobility.

Iron Wolf certainly seems to like them..

Last edited:
Reactions: stevec

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I was in really bad shape before lockdown, i was really not looking after myself. Too much partying, depression, bla bla bla.
I looked like a skeleton.

Lockdown came in and I wasnt going out as much, i put on over 2 stone in 2 months through my own serious bulking and some basic bodyweight training and a bit of strength training. Now i'm in some of the best shape of my life. I'm 5ft 9" over 11 stone, everyone has said i am getting bigger and healthier everytime they see me.
I've quit smoking cold turkey after 10 years, this is day 7 of no cigarettes.
I'm basically teetotal, although i will allow myself a few beers very occasionally but i've even cut out coffee to try and cut down on caffeine, but i'll never give up black tea.
I recently took up running on top of my other training the other week, but on my second week I have got shin splints, so i'm having a couple weeks off, and just doing some bodyweight exercises at home.

A neighbour down our street chucked out some dumbbells and a bench, with stands n that. Nothing wrong with em so got that over lockdown as well as a pull up bar off next door. So got quite a decent set of equipment for nothing.

Pull up bar is the best bit of kit ever invented, especially if you do a lot of lifting at work, it works wonders for your back and shoulder problems.

I'm not trying to get massive or anything but just be healthy, but I look and feel the best I probably ever have.
Training is certainly something i have learned to appreciate and it is become a favourite hobby of mine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I was in really bad shape before lockdown, i was really not looking after myself. Too much partying, depression, bla bla bla.
I looked like a skeleton.

Lockdown came in and I wasnt going out as much, i put on over 2 stone in 2 months through my own serious bulking and some basic bodyweight training and a bit of strength training. Now i'm in some of the best shape of my life. I'm 5ft 9" over 11 stone, everyone has said i am getting bigger and healthier everytime they see me.
I've quit smoking cold turkey after 10 years, this is day 7 of no cigarettes.
I'm basically teetotal, although i will allow myself a few beers very occasionally but i've even cut out coffee to try and cut down on caffeine, but i'll never give up black tea.
I recently took up running on top of my other training the other week, but on my second week I have got shin splints, so i'm having a couple weeks off, and just doing some bodyweight exercises at home.

A neighbour down our street chucked out some dumbbells and a bench, with stands n that. Nothing wrong with em so got that over lockdown as well as a pull up bar off next door. So got quite a decent set of equipment for nothing.

Pull up bar is the best bit of kit ever invented, especially if you do a lot of lifting at work, it works wonders for your back and shoulder problems.

I'm not trying to get massive or anything but just be healthy, but I look and feel the best I probably ever have.
Training is certainly something i have learned to appreciate and it is become a favourite hobby of mine.

Physical training also gets the body releasing endorphins, the feel good chemical. The routine of training sets a goal, which gives you purpose. For me, training is as much to do with my mental health as well as my physical health. Props to you for getting after it! Going cold turkey off the cigs is no mean feat either and requires more than a little self discipline. Well done matey, you've shown what can be done!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Very True , Chin Ups , Pull Ups , Commando Pull Ups , Close Grip Reverse Pull Ups , Weighted Pull Ups - Amazing workout from just gravity.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Bought a X-Trainer, a Weights Bench & a Squat Rack with 200Kg of weights.. Also have my Son's road bike.. Lost 3 stone since March and dropped 8 inches off my waist.. Feeling a lot fitter.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Bought a X-Trainer, a Weights Bench & a Squat Rack with 200Kg of weights.. Also have my Son's road bike.. Lost 3 stone since March and dropped 8 inches off my waist.. Feeling a lot fitter.
Good on ya mate, keep up the good work. I bet seeing those kinds of results is really spurring you on.

Good stuff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE