Socks and gloves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wushuplayer

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2020
London
Hi guys, any recommendations for socks and gloves? Have seen a few from Endicotts but have no idea what's good?
Mainly for general bushcrafting, a little hiking and motorcycling.

Thanks

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
For what weather, cold gear?

In winter I like the Army Arctic socks, the white ones with a red thread in the top. Lots of fakes around, as I found out. Gloves are more difficult. The soft leather work gloves with a fleece lining are cheap and good, though look at Mechanix for biking.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I use my old chainsaw gloves in the woods if I need to but generaly don't bother.

Socks I get from rohan. Expensive but keep feet warm enough . Nice 65 has the right idea if you don't want to spend shed loads.

Bike gloves... cycle or motorbike?
Can't say for cycle and my motorcycle gloves are over 30 years old so no good there either!

For general cold weather I make my own hats gloves and even socks out of alpaca wool. Toasty fingers and toes.
I make a lot of my own gear, and love doing it. I've made lots of stuff from belts to stoves and billycans. It's good for the environment and I also find my basic items in charity shops. You can get a lot of good stuff from them if you are prepared to hunt regularly. And it's much cheaper too!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Heavily insulated snowmobile gloves for really cold (-20C) . Mostly sheepskin-lined gloves all other times.
I like lined gloves, plain leather is too cold for my old hands and poor circulation, even at +5C.
Cold travel? Fur lined mittens and a keeper cord inside my Carhartt coat.

Wildlife can and does make some biochemical changes in response to cold weather.
Less discomfort and better dexterity and mobility. By taking off your gloves from time to time,
you can stimulate the same process.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
My favourite socks IN THE WORLD are the Woolpower ones. I don't know what weight they are, but they're green (durr). But they're SO soft and toasty, and I get cold feet. They're not cheap either. I picked mine up in a sale, I don't think I would have bothered otherwise, but I'm glad I did. My feet are big too (UK size 12) so finding socks to fit can be tricky, and I've not found them in my size since, so I only wear them when I need them. In super cold weather they can be doubled up, under another tougher pair of Bridgedales. I use the 3 season version of them, which I like a lot too, again, not cheap, but lots of wool in them which my feet like, and they last well.

Day to day I've got an old standard pair of Stanley leather work gloves. Tough and simple, no frills, but not very insulating. As they're fairly big I can put another pair of woollen gloves on underneath. I find if I'm doing heavy work/hiking I tend to take them off after while anyway.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I bought two pairs of Särmä Heavyweight Knee Socks, Merino Wool, from Varusteleka. Great for outdoor activities in the winter - fishing, beating, motorcycling, field archery. They seem to be lasting well.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
For general cold weather I make my own hats gloves and even socks out of alpaca wool. Toasty fingers and toes.
I make a lot of my own gear, and love doing it. I've made lots of stuff from belts to stoves and billycans. It's good for the environment and I also find my basic items in charity shops. You can get a lot of good stuff from them if you are prepared to hunt regularly. And it's much cheaper too!

Got my best camp pot from a charity shop. £25 pot for £3. Oxfam book shops are the best though, had nearly all of my bushcrafty/field guide books from them :)

Reactions: Woody girl

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Wait for the sales and get SmartWool hiking socks medium, heavy, extra heavy. Darn Tough short socks are good in summer and help as a liner in the winter.

Gloves, Those Dachstein ones used to be great. They are still OK, but more expensive and not as great anymore. Mears possum/merino gloves are great as liners. Don't try doing anything in them on their own though. They are just warm. But inside deerskin or goatskin unlined workgloves they are perfect.

Maybe look at Hestra if you have money .. but you do get what you pay for there. Lots of different options to mull over. Now you have mentioned it, I feel a desire to go look at their site again. You do see their stuff in sales.

Last edited:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
For general every day wear I've been mightily impressed by the Double Layer walking socks from High-Gear/Go Outdoors. As a habitual ground pounder they ticked all the right boxes, thick,warm,hard wearing with low friction and not overly expensive but are a bit of pig to dry in the field during cold/wet weather. Polyester Merrino mix means no roasting them over the fire. Backed up on wetter trips where I know I'm going to be crossing moorland or paddling across a ford or three with a pair of SealSkinz waterproof socks. Gloves, I tend to go with fingerless work gloves, currently rocking some Dewalts. Like most choices it's a trade off, whilst not super warm they give more protection for tool use, grabbing branches etc

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My honest answer is 'nothing special'. My Motorcycle gloves do not get used for anything else, neither do my chainsaw gloves; they're there to do an important job and I'm not going to risk damaging them on anything else.

Most of the time in the woods I'm using cheap leather work gloves around the fire and preparing fuel.

Socks - my Mum's hand knitted ones :) - but I'm running out of those as she died a few years ago. If you're not walking far just get a thick pair from your local outdoor shop or farmers' supply shop that fit comfortably in your waterproof boots.

If the October meet is your first full outing don't spend too much. I have a basic minimum cost kit list that I send out to anyone coming to do the 'beginner' course in the wood; PM me your email address and I'll send it through. After the October meet you'll have plenty of ideas about what kit you do and do not need.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Have cold hands during the winter and have tried every type of glove known to man - seriously over many years wool, thinsulate, hestra, and mountaineering makes, silk, possum fur/merino and many many others. Only one that keeps my hands warm are Buffalo mitts and pure wool and thinsulate mix gloves in milder weather, think my last make was from Barbour.

Socks army issue (HJ socks) or bridgedale

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Hi guys, any recommendations for socks and gloves? Have seen a few from Endicotts but have no idea what's good?
Mainly for general bushcrafting, a little hiking and motorcycling.

Thanks

For socks Bridgedale win hands down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
+1 for Woolpower socks or, if you're feeling in need of a little luxury, Corrymoor cannot, in my opinion, be beaten in terms of comfort, warmth and durability.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
plenty of surplus options

Dutch army socks work well

gloves I usually work in nonex pilots golves and cover them in german army mittens to keep my hands warm

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
After my beloved army boot long Quechua wool socks unfortunately disappeared, I will follow my brothers recommendation and try this here next time.

They are pretty warm, he usually goes for hiking and wild camping over the tree limit in Austria.

They offer a beige version too.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I don't believe (meaning it does not work like the marketing department says) in cushioning socks. The only ones I have found working anything like that are extremely thick woolen ones that are not often used for trekking, at least I prefer much thinner ones.

I have found that gel insoles are the ones for the old feet. The softer the better, they actually do relieve the pressure points in a way that no foam sole can do. There is a sound engineering reason for that. They do have a negative feature though, because all are ( of the ones I have so far met) soft silicone they do make your feet a bit sweaty, socks are there to take care of that.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's the point!
Good for a dog walk, nothing for 30 km or more, isn't it?

Wool and leather around the feet is in my experiance the best.

But I am ready to learn if I'm wrong, because something new was developped.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE